We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Hi, This is my first thread on this website. I will be a sophomore in college this fall. I plan to study abroad in Europe my junior year. I will need to make a decision about where I want to go by the end of this year.

Some info about me: Male, will be turning 20 in August, I go to a midsize state school, sociology major, originally from the Los Angeles area, huge follower of edm(electronic music), I spend way too much money going to concerts and music festivals haha.

Currently I am very interested in Amsertdam, Berlin, and Prague. Here is what I am looking for in a study abroad city:

-Great nightlife: (clubs, bars, music, etc) I am not the type of person who enjoys sitting at home on the weekends. I like museums, nature, sightseeing as much as the next person but having an active nightlife is an absolute MUST for me. Amsterdam and Berlin both have thriving music scenes but I know Amsterdam is a smaller city overall. Will there be enough to occupy me in Amsterdam without getting too repetitive?

-Ability to travel: This is why I am choosing to study abroad in Europe rather than a place like Australia. I want to be able to travel as often and as easily as I can.

-I will be taking my academic courses in English. While I will try my best, learning another language is not a requirement for me.

- I DON'T want to stay with a family. I would like to live with other students in either an apartment or on campus dorm.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,991 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Your best bet would be to look at and post on expats.cz for thoughts. opinions, suggestions etc.

Prague is 'central' Europe so that is the selling point and I would say the most different of the three.

There are budget airlines, train and bus service are dependable and affordable and you can get to short haul locations via plane...for example. Wizz Air, SmartWings, etc.

Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava..4 capital cities within in very close proximity

Amsterdam and Berlin would give you more flight options

"learning another language is not a requirement for me." you will need to pick up some language wherever you go...Czech language/conversation is difficult

I would presume Berlin has the music scene you are looking for

FYI...https://www.unyp.cz/

Edited: 04 August 2014, 22:18
praha
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

hmm, tough, your money will certainly go a lot further in Prague specially as you like to go out a lot.

If i was a sudent today, I might be tempted to go with Amsterdam, its compact enough, nightlife oh yes, the people very "happy" , i think easy to integrate with the locals, etc....

Berlin is too large for my liking from a student point of view.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 22:38
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,963 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

All young people in Amsterdam speak English..that would be a great plus for you.....

4. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 07:16