We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Berlin

Dublin
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Berlin

I've been trying to check train times/prices from Prague to Berlin and have used the search function but am still a bit confused.

If I book online in advance, will it be cheaper than buying a ticket at the station? I would like the freedom of not picking a time just yet but don't want to risk the train being full or having to pay a much higher price.

Also, if booking online, is it best to book on the cd.cz site or bahn.de?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

On line will be cheaper if you book the special offer tickets...on CD 29 euros, on DBahn starts at 29 - 49 depending which train you are taking.

CD from 60 days in advance, DB from 92 days in advance.

The train maybe full in terms that you may not get a seat, but it will always be available for travel....standard price tickets are valid for 30 days on any train on the route.

The standard price from CD is about 60 euros. So you will be paying twice for the convenience.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 11:28
Dublin
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

Thanks very much, I think I will book online then. Is it the same train regardless of which site I book on? Looks to me like I can get a better deal on CD.

Also I think I read somewhere that sitting on the right side of the train in the direction you are travelling has nicer views, do you know if this is right?

Dublin
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

One more question if anyone knows - is it possible to get off the train midway, say in Dresden, and get back on a few hours later with the same ticket?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

The same train on both sites, and sit on the right hand side of the train..as for stopping in Dresden, I think you will have to buy from the Germans...the CD does not have the option for taking a break in the travel (the cheap tickets)...unless someone knows different?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

You can only do the journey break thing with www.bahn.com but it shouldn't cost any more - it's a really good deal. When you get to the search page, click on 'other search options' and add Dresden as a stopover - you can specify up to 48 hours. Then it is pretty much self-explanatory.

Dublin
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

Thank you both for your help. Very interesting that you can stopover in Dresden for up to 48 hours, I'll have to have a think about this!

7. Re: Train from Prague to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:17