We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety equipment in a rental car

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety equipment in a rental car

I will rent a car at Thrifty airport Prague, then drive to Austria, Hnugary, Slovakia and return to Prague. I do some research on driving in these coutries and found that some safety equipment are required in car. Such as warning triangle, first aid kit, reflective vest, spare bulbs and headlamp converters, etc.

Any problem if i don't have tose equipment in my car? Does Thrifty provide them in their car?

Do I have to buy vignette to drive in all above counties?

Thanks!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,119 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

I rent from Avis and the car will have the triangle, first aid, vest and spare bulbs..don't know what's headlamp converter.

You will have to buy Austrian and Slovak vignettes, if you drive on the motorways, and you will, Hungary has a different system, dont' know how it works, but there are charges. The car will have the stamp for Czech.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

Anything that is legally required in the Czech Republic will be there. It is basically the same in the other countries you mention as well. I know that in Hungary you have to have safety vests for all the occupants of the car within easy reach of the driver - they cost a few pennies at all petrol stations. I doubt you will need headlight converters unless you are planning to drive to the UK, but make sure your lights are on at all times as it is the law. They are wired to warn you if they are off anyway. You will require an IDP, which is compulsory certainly in Austria, possibly also in Hungary. Don't try and drive in cities such as Vienna or Budapest - leave the vehicle in a park and ride on the edge of town. Parking is scarce and very expensive otherwise, and besides it is not a particularly pleasant experience for a first-timer (or even if you have done it before). I always get the bus to Vienna now - I would need an extremely good reason to drive!

You will need a vignette for Austria, Slovakia and the Czech Republic - the latter should already be affixed. Follow the instructions on the back of the vignettes for the other countries to the letter (they are in good English). For Hungary you buy a 'matrica' at the border which registers your vehicle's number plate and the radars along the way will pick it up and the police won't stop you.

You must buy the vignettes for Austria and Slovakia BEFORE you drive on roads that require them or you will be fined a hefty sum, no questions asked. As you will have Czech number plates you may find that your fellow road-users and the police in Austria have a slightly different attitude to what you might expect.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

Tily and Gcek,Thanks for your quick reply.

Is there any advise for parking in Vienna and Budapest ? I will stay at Queen's court hotel, Budapest. I found a closer p+r at Mexikoi ut, but it is uncovered and ungraded. Is it safe to leave rental car there for a couple days?

Any suggestion on driving in these counties will be very appreciated.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

You'd have to ask in the Budapest forum about that.

On-street parking in Vienna is virtually impossible to find. During the day, if you find any at all, it is restricted to a couple of hours and you need to seek out somewhere to buy a ticket. The no-parking/restricted parking zone extends far out into the suburbs, so if you are staying for longer and budget is an issue you should put it in a park and ride - there are a few of these. Public transport in and between these cities is second to none. Will you be only using the car to get from one city to another? If so, consider the train or bus instead as it is a lot cheaper and less stressful as well!

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

I believe driving is having more fun and flexibility, and no worry with carrying luggages. I have driven several times in Europe without any issues.

Thank you for your help.

6. Re: Safety equipment in a rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:17