We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

Hello everyone, we have a Eurail pass and I have been trying to plan our trip. I have a map but it does not seem detailed enough.

Is there a train from Prague to C. Krumlov?

and from

C. Krumlov to Munich?

and if not, what would you suggest on how to travel between these three cities?

Thank you very much

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

First of all, you probably wasted your money with that Eurail pass. It is much cheaper to buy tickets ahead of time on the eshops of the national railway companies. But you already have it, so there's nothing you can do about it.

There is a train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, although most people would take the bus. You have to transfer in Ceske Budejovice and it takes 3 hours and 23 minutes. Leaves Prague at 7:33, 9:33, 11:33 13:33 and so on. It would have cost you only 200 CZK (roughly $10). You can check the times and connections at www.cd.cz or www.idos.cz.

To get exclusively by train from Cesky Krumlov to Munich, you have to change in Ceske Budejovice and Plzen. It takes over 8 hours. You can check the times on the same sites. Or you could do what most people would do and get a shuttle from CK to Linz and then the train from Linz to Munich. It would be faster, I think, but you would have to pay for the shuttle. For information on this, search the forum. It has been covered many times in the past.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

JIP has given you the lowdown..I can vouch for taking the shuttle between CK and Linz and vice versa.

On the websites above,look for the English option bottom right.

Just an FYI, the small train station in CK sits atop a hill opposite the historic center. If you have more luggage than a backpacker,then you'll likely wanna take the local bus down or a taxi.

Bus stop at the bottom is Špičák (Shpee-chauk).

There is a small info center at the train station if you need help. The main info center is in the square.

(stop by Hostel 99 area and have a beer/wine on their small terrace)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,970 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

Forget your pass - it is not a lot of use in this part of the world, or indeed any part of the world, either financially or practically.

Get the bus from Prague to Český Krumlov www.studentagency.eu - it is much quicker, more comfortable and more convenient than the train. Cost about €7

Then to get to Munich it may well be easier for you to return to Prague and get the bus from there. The bus is run by German Railways but I don't know if passes are valid on it. Whatever, you will have to make a reservation in advance and you might find that a regular ticket is cheaper and easier (€29). There is a train, but it is very slow.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

Thank you for your replies and helpful information. Bad news about the eurail pass though.

It's our first trip to Europe and our travel agent suggested we purchase it primarily to travel from Munich to Amsterdam. Adding a couple of countries to the pass was the same price. Is the pass going to be just as useless from Munich to Amsterdam? (I can get a refund if I do not use it at all; not sure how easy that would be...)

I think we will opt for the bus. I also tried researching rental cars but it appears I cannot return it in Chesky, I really didn't want to backtrack. Your suggestion about going to Linz is a good option.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,970 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

When are you going? Look at www.bahn.com for prices from Munich to Amsterdam. By day it costs from €49 but you have to be first in the queue to get that price. Overnight I think there is also a train but with a pass you have to buy a reservation on top of what you already paid for the pass, which can make it expensive.

Unfortunately travel agents outside Europe don't generally have a clue about European rail travel so they peddle expensive passes as the 'easy' option. We see it time and time again here.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

Here's a great site with information and tips on rail passes and whether to buy them:

seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm

It has excellent information on train travel in general. I recommend reading it before your trip. Too bad you didn't read it before buying the pass. If you can get it refunded, that would probably be the best option.

Oh, and it's not just travel agents outside of Europe - there is Interrail here in Europe for Europeans, and a lot of people use those passes. Travel agents get a commission for selling the passes, but they don't get anything when people buy the cheap tickets online, so obviously they push the passes. It is a common mistake for first-time travellers. I bought one myself when coming to Europe for the first time, but at the time there were no internet eshops where one can buy tickets ahead of time, and no TripAdvisor to set me straight.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 05:56
7. Re: Prague to Chesky Krumlov, C Krumlov to Munich with Eurail pa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:17