We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

I have looked at many messages on here and received some valuable info. On Oct 7 4 adults will travel from Vienna to Prague. Looked at train prices and bus prices. But I can't find anything to tell me what first class or if it is worth it over 2nd class tickets. And my next question would be the view better view from train or bus or similar? Thank You so much this is my first trip to both cities and looking forward to it.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

The difference in comfort is minimal, but whereas second costs from €19 on-line in advance, first will set you back about €70 and you need to buy when you get there.

There isn't much of a view whichever way you go, but the bus wins hands down south of Brno as it passes through the vineyards of South Moravia, through the lakes, past Mikulov and then the wine villages of Low Austria. The seats on the bus are more comfortable and you get more perks (wi-fi, free refreshments, in-seat movies)

Train: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…_DSC0276.jpg (2nd), vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…_DSC0250.jpg (1st)

Bus: studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

Thank you for the quick helpful reply. I will check out those links and post here with any other questions. Thanks Again Dan

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

Just in case:

Bus website: www.studentagency.eu there is also www.westbus.at/en which is quicker and goes a different route, also apparently scenic, and costs €22.

Train website www.cd.cz/eshop (English top right)

NB Praha = Prague, Wien = Vienna

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

Whereas one can buy tickets on this routing, only www.oebb.at (Austrian rail website) actually sells first class tickets. For some reason, the Czech rail website, www.cd.cz does not sell them.

I just checked both websites, and you should grab the Kc540 (19 Euro) tickets for second class from the Czech rail website. The Austrian website is already asking 39 Euros or 49 Euros for second class, with first class being 20 Euros more. The Czechs always seem to have a larger inventory of discounted tickets.

Just be sure to show up 20 minutes or so before the departure, as some seats will be reserved, and there will be a lot of people showing up right before departure grabbing whatever is left. In this way, you'll be able to find some seats together.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

Thank You . I am looking at 4 tickets on the EC72 as it leaves very close to my hotel checkout time in Vienna. with a little extra for the seat reservations for a total of CZK 2501. It leaves from wien-miedling to praha (sure hope I got that right:) and it asked for ID number so I just entered passport number is that correct? My tickets from Budapest to Vienna didn't ask me to put in any ID info (hope that isn't a problem later) Thank You again Dan

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

At www.cd.cz/eshop (Czech Railways) you can buy 2nd class train tickets from Vienna to Prague from just 19 euros (540 Koruna or so). You print your own ticket. The Czech site doesn't sell 1st class tickets.

At www.oebb.at (Austrian Railways) you can buy tickets for the same trains in both classes, from 29 euros in 2nd class or from 39 euros in 1st class.

So it's a no brainer to use the Czech site if you're happy with 2nd class - which you may be, it's absolutely fine and the norm.

But for a mere 39 euros if you pre-book you can have the extra legroom, elbow room and quieter surroundings with fewer people of a first class car.

7. Re: traveling from vienna to prague via train, first class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 05:16