We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris or Prague

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Paris or Prague

I am going to Germany in November...my friend offered to take me to either Prague or Paris for a 3 day weekend...I know zero about Prague and after skimming thru a few posts here...I am certainly getting different opinions. I love beautiful architecture, good food, museums, scenery, shopping, nice clean hotels...have been to Paris 4 times...love it...but it has been 8 years since my last visit. I need to let them know of my decision by next week....any thoughts????

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Glassimo
Gift & Speciality Shops
Kotva
Gift & Speciality Shops
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris or Prague

Hi

Most definitely Prague, it wins on all counts. Nicer hotels for the money, cleaner, and beautiful architecture which is unsurpassed anywhere. Drivers drive on the roads and not the pavements and stop when you are on a crossing. Very efficient public transport and most touristly interesting places are within easy walking distance of one another.

Prague people and Parisiens are about as friendly as each other.

You can eat and drink for less than half the cost of Paris, and I think Prague is safer. Both cities are overrun with pickpockets, but only in Paris have I been accosted by a rather enthusiastic pervert, in Prague they are only after your purse I'm not sure what the guy wanted in Paris, but believe me he didn't get it.

So Prague it is then :-)

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
west Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris or Prague

PRAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been to Paris not once but 4 times. It's lovely, but be adventurous. Prague is absolutely breathtaking. It is a fairy tale come to life. 3 days is just enough to see the major sites and leave you longing to return. There is good food to be had in Prague, though it may not be Paris in terms of the gastronomic delights. The scenery can't be beat and I don't think any country can compete in terms of the architecture (most other countries had serious destruction of architectural gems from earlier centuries during WWII, but not Prague). Prague has musicians and artists at every turn, museums, a castle, a remarkably well preserved Jewish Quarter, and enough beautiful churches that you could visit them for three days alone. Prague, Prague, Prague. You absolutely can't go wrong by going there.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
west Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris or Prague

PRAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been to Paris not once but 4 times. It's lovely, but be adventurous. Prague is absolutely breathtaking. It is a fairy tale come to life. 3 days is just enough to see the major sites and leave you longing to return. There is good food to be had in Prague, though it may not be Paris in terms of the gastronomic delights. The scenery can't be beat and I don't think any country can compete in terms of the architecture (most other countries had serious destruction of architectural gems from earlier centuries during WWII, but not Prague). Prague has musicians and artists at every turn, museums, a castle, a remarkably well preserved Jewish Quarter, and enough beautiful churches that you could visit them for three days alone. Prague, Prague, Prague. You absolutely can't go wrong by going there.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris or Prague

I agree with datraveler and Jackie34. Haven't been to Paris, but after returning from Prague was speaking with several folks who had been to both cities...all of them would return to Prague before returning to Paris. Prague is a beautiful city and you won't be disappointed. If you choose Prague, let us know how your trip goes.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Hotel Paris Prague
Hotel Paris Prague
2,129 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
CA, USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris or Prague

Prague!

I've been to both cities, they're both wonderful in their own right, but I absolutely fell in love with Prague!

It might not be as sophisticated as Paris, but it certainly has an incredible charm that can't be matched, it's magical!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris or Prague

If you had not been to Paris, this would be a tougher call...Prague, without question.

The architecture here is truly amazing. From Romanesque, to Gothic to Renaissanc to Rococo to neo-gothi,c to Art Nouveau, to Frank Gehry, it's all here. The Obecni Dum (municipal house) and Parizska Street are worth the trip on their own.

And while it is very crowded with tourists it does not take much to escape. A few blocks off the main tourist areas are wonderful quiet streets and alleys and parks and squares. Vysherad is one of the most peaceful spots in Prague with one of the best views.

Food? eh, ok, hearty. Shopping? eh, but I'm not the best judge.

Definitely Prague.

You don't say where in Germany you are coming from and I assume you are driving. Depending on the route, there are sights to see in the Czech republic along the way. Perhaps you could tell us that and I'm sure you will get many suggestions of routes to take and places to see.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Parizska Street
Parizska Street
115 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Germany
Germany
Europe
KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris or Prague

Wow - It sounds like Prague! I think my German friend has been there before so that would be great for me. She said we would take the night train from Wurzburg...again I am clueless...but sometimes that is the best way to travel...no expectations! Last year my other German friend took me to Venice...again no expectations and I had the best time. I have always been the family travel planner...and now that my kids are in college...I think I will become more flexible and let someone else do the planning. I assume the food will be on par with the German food....and in the cold of winter that is not such a bad thing. I don't have to shop much at all...so that would be a good reason not to choose Paris...would rather spend the money travelilng this time. Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Wurzburg
Wurzburg
Lower Franconia, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris or Prague

Yes, food is similar to German in many ways, with some differences. I actually like it, but am hesitant to say that anyone else would.

Have fun. I was here early in November last year and the weather was still quite nice. Late in November?? probably less chance of that. I think you'll find the city quite fascinating.

Buenos Aires...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris or Prague

Give a chance to Prague. Open yourself to new possibilities.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris or Prague

on a side note puppis...my German friends daughter is now in Buenas Aires...doing her medical internship in a hospital...oh does she love your city! That is my next trip...