We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kampa Park - dissappointed

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kampa Park - dissappointed

Just back from a fab few days in Prague for my husband's 50th. Everything was brilliant except for our evening at Kampa Park. We booked on line for his actual birthday meal (after ballet at the State Opera) and then checked that they had received the booking during our first day in Prague. Sure enough, they had, including my request for the best table in the house as it was a special birthday so we were very excited and very much looking forward to it.

On arrival, we were whisked through the kitchens to a table right by the window looking at the Charles Bridge - excellent. However, the rest of the room was occupied by 2 tables of what could only be described as the German mafia! One large table of important black suits and one small table of chain-smoking bodyguard "heavies" (unfortunately right next to ours). Every time one of the suits went to th loo, it was guarded by the heavies until he was finished. The smoke was unbearable. We asked to change tables as we felt very uneasy and uncomfortable but there were none available.

As for the food, I would give 7/10. I ordered the tomato "Tarte tatin" to start which was not a tarte tatin at all but a cold shortcrust pastry case with tomatoes inside. My husband had the scallops which were good. Rack of lamb and venison also good. Presentation and service were excellent and they even gave us a complimentary "crema catalana" with a candle in it to mark his birthday!

If anyone is looking for a truly fab meal, we recommend the restaurant at the Alchymist Hotel (next to the American Embassy) - food there was exquisite!

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

We were there a couple of weeks ago and had a very good experience...I am sorry yours wasn't. We ate in the main diningroom...food and service were wonderful...took advantage of the BMW ride back to the hotel. It sounds like your experience was ruined by other dinner guests....I have had the same thing happen to me in other resturants so know how you felt. Do you think they were German mafia....we saw similar groups at other places...our guess was Russian mafia.....

Donegal
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

i saw the bmw ride advertised. How much approx is this? also does anyone know if there is anywhere that does carraige rides? we're going the second weekend of november, its me an my boyfriends first holiday away so i want to be as cheesy as possible!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

Funny, last time we ate there, we turned down the BMW ride -- didn't realize it was free. I always assumed nothing is free -- learned later we missed the boat, so to speak.

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

Princess

The carriage rides are in Old Town Square.

Martha

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

Is the BMW offer still in effect? After we paid our waiter asked if we would be wanting a taxi.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

Carridge Rides?? Tell me more please. Cost, location, Duration etc.

Also, roughly what cost for the meal at the Alchmist Hotel for how many courses and was drink included?

Regards,

Jaycine

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

Carriage rides go from the Old town ,just round the corner from the clock , the ride itself takes 20-30 mins and I think it is about £20.

TORII

8. Re: Kampa Park - dissappointed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 16:20