We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out near Castle Steps

Whitby
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out near Castle Steps

My daughter and I are travelling to Prague for ac uple of nights in January and staying at Castle Steps, Nerudova.

Can anyone advise of anywhere to eat on our first evening in that area, don't want to arrive and be trecking the streets in the cold and dark too far. And also enjoy our food so would appreciate recommendations instead of taking chances.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

if u r talking about castle steps' apartments, then there is a restaurant right there by the door that leads to the courtyard before the apartment building. I forgot the name but it serve decent local food. All along Nerudova, there are a few choices. If not u can walk towards Charles Bridge (only 5 mins walk even if u dont know ur way, just walk downhill past the square and the music hall with the statue) and there are quite a few choices here.

Good Luck.

PS. just before u hit Charles Bridge, there are also many shops along here besides restaurants (even a chinese one), a grocery shop, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
488 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

I think you'd love a meal at Square Restaurant, which is located at Malostranske Nameski 5. I'm not sure which of the Castle Steps locations you're staying at, but if you're at 4 or 10 Nerudova it would be very close. The food is delicious and the service was great.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

on trziste (the next street to malostranske namesti) are two good local restaurants; gitanes and david. square is also good

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

I agree with all other suggestions (last two times I tried to go into Gitanes it was completely booked up by tourist groups). If you went up the hill from the Castle steps then you've got a nice Indonesian restaurant called Sate or there's the little "Maly Buddha" restaurant just opposite the Questenberk Hotel. I think you'll have more options by walking down the hill.

Jason

Whitby
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

Thanks for your input everyone, I had a look at the Square Restuarant menu and it looks to be just what I'm looking for and prices very reasonable.

Norway
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

I tried Square this summer and did'nt like it that much. High volume electronic music and old prawns made me in bad temper. Grrr! I liked Hergetova Cihelena (the same owners) much better. The view at the Charles bridge was great !

Next time I'm in Prague I would (march) go for the Balkan restaurant Gitanes in Triezte because many on this forum have wrote nice about it.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

I understand these are apartments and there will be a small kitchen in each unit.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

However, when I stayed there, I learned my unit had no kitchen, only a small refrigerator. I still liked it.

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

we are staying at arcadia's "Vlaska" apts. Is this in the same area? We are also looking for good places to eat, especially if something is open late since our easyjet flight get's in at 9:30

cheers!

-cris

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out near Castle Steps

vlasska is in the same area. Square on malastranske namesti is better for lunch than dinner, as the tables are quite together and they do have electric music playing as pingrid says. Gitanes and jj murphy's are at the bottom of the street where your apartment is so try these when you arrive, but if they are not open, the kitchen at square is open until after midnight and the restaurant may be quieter at that time of night. Take a taxi from the airport - vlasska is too far away from a metro station if you have luggage