We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Which Breclav hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Hi!

I'm travelling from Berlin to Vienna with a connection in Breclav. In Breclav I need to catch train EC 105 (Sobiesky), and the problem is that I have very short transfer time, only 8 mins.

Could anyone please advice is that enough time for trains change and which platform do I need to go to catch this train (EC 105 leaving at 19.02 to Vienna)?

Can't find any information on the platforms in the Internet..(

Thank you in advance!

8 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

If you are coming on EC175 and leaving on EC105 - both trains should arrive/depart from the same platform....so 8 minutes is plenty of time, but if your incoming train is late, and departing train on time, then you will miss the connection, EC trains don't wait for each other.,

From Berlin, you could take a direct train to Vienna without changing in Breclav. Why aren't you doing that?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Thanks for your answer!

That's right, I'm coming on EC175.. but to my understanding, if they both use the same platform, EC 105 can't depart before EC 175 will arrive) Am I wrong?

I've purchased tickets through bahn.de and the system didn't offer me the direct train, I don't know why… Could you please advice, which direct train you mean?

Thanks!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Apologies, you are right, it's only the night train which is direct.

Every platform has two sides..but seems like in 2013, 175 arrives at platform 3...still plenty of time if your train is on time

www.zelpage.cz/odjezdy-2013/breclav.html

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Breclev is an important juncture but not a large place

…denik.cz/68/a3/nadrazi_breclav_rekonstrukce…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

Thank you for the link. As I don't speak/read Czech, I will greatly appreciate, if you can check if I'm right)

As I can see, EC 175 arrives at rail track 3, and EC 105 depart from rail track 2 in 8 minutes.

Are tracks 3 and 2 on the same platform, or I need to move to another platform? If I need to move, should I do it underground or above the ground?

Thanks in advance!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

It is a very easy transfer, 8 minutes is more than enough time. You could go and have a quick beer in the buffet. I am 99 percent sure that the Sobieski waits if there is a slight delay. Otherwise if there is a significant delay you can just get the next train from Břeclav, they are quite regular and you can use the ticket with no penalty.

BTW as well as the night train there is another direct train in the morning.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 21:18
Perth
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

I thought I would ask a similar question here. We are travelling fro Berlin to Vienna and the stop in Breclav is now 3 minutes! :) So I'm wondering if there will be a change of trains or is this just a 3 minute stop to pick people up and travellers remain on the same train.

Thoughts? I have looked through the Bahn.de site but can't find what I am looking for.

cheers

H

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav

It is a risk, but if you miss that connection you can get the next one and you'd arrive at 2051. You also have to change in Prague.

There are also regular direct buses which take the same time as the train and have things like wi-fi and movies - there is one that goes at 1100 and arrives at 2010 (and no, it isn't downmarket, especially considering that you just put your luggage in the hold and there's no rushing about) https:/…services-on-our-buses (from €22) - but don't leave it too late as it is very popular.

Unfortunately for whatever reason the direct Vindobona train ended in 2014.

Reply to: Route from Berlin to Vienna. Train connection in Breclav
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Breclav
More Breclav Topics