We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

pat
arlington MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

Can one see all the important aspects of the battle, the chateau,etc. on a day trip from Brno or should we plan an overnight? Also, is it easy to drive in and out of Brno ? We like to stay in the heart of town so that our evenings can be spent wandering around or at a cafe watching the world go by. Brno has many out-of-town things to see. We shall spend 4 days there.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

Slavkov is only a small place and the chateau is no great shakes. The Battle monument - Mohyla míru - is quite impressive, though, and has a small museum incorporated in it which will explain all you need to know, but you really need a car to get to it.

Good for an afternoon or morning out, but no longer than that, and you can combine it with somewhere else such as the caves in Blansko.

In your other post you mention the Western Park in Boskovice - I've been there once with my son and I absolutely hated it, but he was mildly interested. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't waste my time going there, unless maybe you have a 6 year-old in tow, but even then there are far more worthwhile things to do and see in and around Brno, and even Boskovice (e.g. chateau - but that isn't for small children).

Will you have a car? Bear in mind that central Brno is out of bounds to cars, but most hotels will have some kind of parking arrangements - the International is probably best in that respect - which hotel will you be staying at?

Edited: 17 February 2012, 16:16
pat
arlington MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

Thanks for your help. We will be staying at the Hotel

Slavia which has parking in front and around the hotel. Any helpful hints for central Brno and day trips would be welcome. Husband is an historian and we like to poke into everything. Also big on architecture (and wine). pat

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

If you can change your hotel I would - the Slavia is not the best IMO, unless you want a 1980s experience :)

If you can change to the Best Western International which is a couple of hundred yards away and has secure parking (which the Slavia does not have - limited on-street), it would be better.

You will not need a car in Brno anyway as it is mostly pedestrianised and public transport is second to none. You will need a sat nav and nerves of steel to find the Slavia - watch out for trams and prohibited entrances, especially around there as it is largely permit-holders only. One rule that you MUST adhere to in towns is to stop behind a tram when you see it stopping in order to let the passengers on and off, also give way from the right, even if it seems that you are on the main highway, except where it says you can continue - cars can come screaming around the corner without looking and it can be a bit disconcerting to the uninitiated. And you must have your headlights on at all times.

Plenty of architecture - the Tugendhat Villa (UNESCO world heritage site) has just re-opened and is a must http://www.tugendhat.eu/en/ otherwise Brno was a centre of 1920s functionalist architecture and there are many examples around the city, especially in the Masarykova čtvrt

Lots of information here:

http://www.brno.cz/

guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/low-cost-f…

brno.cz/fileadmin/…Brno_1en.wmv

www.moravskykras.net/en/moravian-karst.html

http://brnonow.com/

…muni.cz/en/…

Don't be afraid to go inside places - some of the churches may look a bit nondescript on the outside, but inside they are invariably highly ornate and baroque, and go up to the Špilberk castle.

If you want to do day trips then Mikulov mikulov.cz/tourism/introduction-of-the-town/

Pernstejn castle http://www.zamky-hrady.cz/2/pernstejn-e.htm

There's enough to keep you busy for at least a couple of weeks - 4 days is not nearly enough :)

pat
arlington MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

Thanks again. I can change hotels and think your advice is sound. We will be in Brno for 4 days but I neglected to say that we will start from Budapest with a car and do two nights in Mikulov seeing Lednice then on to Kromeriz for two nights then Olomouc for three ending in Brno and back to Budapest We are seeing as many castles and sites as we can fit in. The interest in the Western Park is more because of the popularity of the German writer Carl May and how the American West is perceived in Europe (at least Central Europe) Won't expect much but our curiosity will drive us on and we do have the time. Are you familiar with hotels in these other cities where we shall be stayingl We do like the older off beat types sortof anything BUT Holiday Inns but we are not fool hardy either. Again thanks especially about the streetcars--we gave up our car in Melbourne Australia because of them. Pat

5. Re: Day trip to Slavko (Austerlitz)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 10:27
Get answers to your questions about Brno
Recent Conversations