We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Brno

Which Brno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
115 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Brno

My husband and I will be stopping over for a few hours in Brno en route from Vienna to Prague. I know, I know - a few hours is not enough to do justice to the town. But we're locked into our reservations in both Vienna and Prague, so we'll have to make due. Aside from walking around and taking in the sights (I've printed out some of GCEK's walking tour advice), I'd like some guidance on a good place for lunch - someplace not terriby touristy but that might have a menu in English (since neither of us can speak or read Czech). The only thing I'd like to avoid is a very smoky place. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Brno

Most places have menus in English of some kind or another, and thankfully nowhere is terribly touristy!

Pegas is good for the more traditional Czech food with excellent beer, or if you want great pizza then there is a place called Adria on Masarykova.

Some of the best places are on Veveří street, which is not in the centre, but leads out from the Red Church - in recent years a few decent pubs and restaurants have sprung up around there, to add to the existing ones, and it is quite a studenty/well-to-do residential area. A couple of nice places there http://www.cattani.cz/ (79 crowns for a decent plate of pasta, beer only 25 crowns) or Bistro Franz http://www.bistrofranz.cz/

However best of all is Kabaret Špaček - it is owned by an old friend of mine and I am not recommending it purely because of that fact, but because it is genuinely very good indeed. It is on Kopečná, very near the cathedral on the other side of Husova, and takes a little bit of seeking out, but it is worth it. They have a couple of dishes every day, and each day it is something different and usually quite surprising - something you would never have thought of before. The prices are great and you won't pay more than 100 crowns for an excellent meal and they have a very good selection of beers. If you look on google maps you can find it. , The menu, such as it is, will not be in English as it changes on a daily basis - however, they will surely make every attempt to explain to you what it is :) The only thing is that it is a bit 'alternative' and can be a little bit smoky, but then again so can anywhere. However, it will not be as bad as Vienna where smoking seems to be obligatory. If it is a nice day almost everywhere has outside seating.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
115 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Brno

I was hoping you'd respond, GCEK! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big beer drinker, but my husband is, and I'm pretty sure Pegas would be right up his alley. Is it in fact open for lunch? I hope the weather will be nice 10 days from now; I understand it's rather wet this week.

Thanks again!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Brno

Yes - Pegas is open. If it is nice then upstairs there is an outside terrace - in order to get there you go through the doors at the very back of the main hall or there is also a lift. I have only been up there a couple of times, but one time they were grilling on an open barbecue out there.

It is impossible to tell what it will be like in 10 days' time, but it is fluctuating at the moment. No doubt it will settle ...

Enjoy!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Brno

I totally agree on spacek. Great place for eating, and the cook is genuinely interested in great and fresh seasonal produce.

Good atmosphere, relaxed, alternative. Exactly what one needs ...

GCEK: tell your old friend he has a great place. We will be back in Brno in September, looking forward to eating there again.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
115 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in Brno

Thanks - We are back from our trip to Vienna and Prague - with a stop in Brno, and just wanted to thank all who offered suggestions, especially GCEK. We enjoyed our 4 hours in Brno, of course, it wasn't enough time. Still, we had a great time, and a nice lunch at Pegas. My husband loved the beer! It's a very nice town, and definitely less touristy than Prague.

Cheers!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in Brno

thanks for reporting back to us..glad you enjoyed and yes, kuddos to GCEK!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in Brno

Can I say GCEK took me to Kabaret Špaček for lunch and it was quite superb.

I also went to Pegas and really enjoyed the food there but the beer is absolutely superb.

Gcek also took me to the Cerna Hora bar where I met up with several of his friends I can highly reccommend both the food and the beer in there,but the company that night was even better.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch in Brno

I must say that the meal we had there was very good indeed - a beautiful piece of pork fillet with fresh vegetables all straight from the farmer's market which is a couple of minutes away. I think it cost 85 crowns (about €3) - the same thing would easily set you back €20 elsewhere, and it almost certainly wouldn't have been as good.

There are a few Černá Hora pubs around the city - the one mentioned above, U Prokopů, is probably the best, and a bit of good company there never goes amiss :)

If you are a fan of koleno (pork knuckle) then Blahovka wins all round for knuckle, atmosphere, beer, free bottles of slivovice and cheese balls - have you tried reproducing them yet at home, unclegus?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch in Brno

No have not made the effort but I have not spent much time at home lately (been busy) but yes I will give them a go soon.

I was given some Homemade Slivovice by a friend of GCEK in Blahovka and the chesse ball he refers to are blue cheese mixed with grated onion rolled into balls and covered in Paprika, bloody delicious.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch in Brno

Don't forget the little bit of rohlík (bread roll) skewered to the end - IMO that bit is essential!