We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brno to Ostrava via rail

Detroit Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Brno to Ostrava via rail

I'm planning a business trip to CZ from the US. I will fly to Brno for a two day appointment, arrive on a Monday. On Wednesday of that week i will travel to Ostrava for more meetings and return to the US on Friday/Saturdat. Flying out of OSR.

My thoughts are train travel between Brno & Ostrava would be as quick as airport check in, flight & baggage handling. Can anyone provide knowledge or website where i can get train schedule and cost. Along with advice as to rail or air between the two locations.

Also the specific Czech Rep. locations I will visit are Kurin and Frenstat, if the train stops in those locals.

Thanks very much in advance.

Mark

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brno to Ostrava via rail

The train from Brno main station (Brno hl.n.) to Ostrava-Svinov leaves every 2 hours and this journey takes usually approx. 2:20 and costs 204 CZK ($7, second class) or 306 CZK ($10, first class - very recommended on that line). Check the connection on www.idos.cz (choose "vlakove spoje" and click at the Union Jack in the right bottom corner to get english version).

Flight is not an oppinion on that direction.

Don't leave the train at Ostrava main station ("Ostrava hl.n."), because it's ugly and not in the real centre of the city. Only if Your destination is near the terminal. Svinov's renovation is now being finished - interesting building, by the way.

Kurim is near Brno - 20 minutes by train, services very often. Frenstat pod Radhostem is very interesting place (I'd recommend You a very cheap trip by the cableway from the town up to Pustevny hill, nice viewes there) - but the connection is a little worse: More than 1 hour by train from Ostrava. But if You'd have time enough, why not. Also mining museum in Ostrava could be interesting.

Detroit Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brno to Ostrava via rail

thanks Sir Humphrey. I actually took the trip in reverse, from Ostrava to Brno. It was a nice, peaceful ride with pretty scenery. The announcements were also in English and with a little studying one could decipher the train schedule & codes on the platform. I still must have looked kinda lost for a helpful Czech student on her way to Paris got me pointed in the right direction, on the right train. (Thanks student if your reading this ).

At Brno station it was again somewhat confusing for i was going to Best Western, ( nice place, though pool somewhat small). Here a helpful trolly driver took me part way and at his trolly then pointed me in the correct direction and motioned me to walk. By in By I was very comfortable in Brno and found the people friendly and helpful. I spent an extra day there just to view the castle. Thanks again for your help.

3. Re: Brno to Ostrava via rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Brno
Recent Conversations