We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Which Brno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Hello,

We will be flying to Vienna and taking a cab to Brno the first week of March where my husband has meetings. I love exploring small villages. How feasible would it be to rent a car to explore the countryside, drop it in a town near the Austrian Border and take a cab back into Vienna on the return trip. Which town would be our best option? A train is not an option as we are moving from Bordeaux back to the U.S. and living out of 4 pullmans for 2 weeks. I have read that it is not advisable to rent a car in one country and return it in another. Thanks for advice, suggestions. The one village on my hit list is Mikulov and we would probably spend one night in the countryside.

Thank you!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Why can't you hire a car at Vienna airport, use it for the week (take your husband to Brno) and then drop it off again at Vienna Airport? That's what I would do if I tried to avoid public transport.,

Mikulov, Valtice, Lednice .....you could also visit Telc, Boskovice, Macocha caves.....plenty to see in the area.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Or get the bus direct from the airport to Brno, which would cost a fraction of the price of a cab, and far more comfortable, then hire a car in Brno to do your countryside exploring. A car is of no use to you in Brno itself, though. There is loads to do and see in Brno, and Mikulov is a short drive away.

Then bus back to the airport from Brno www.studentagency.eu

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

We are staying a week in Brno not Vienna. His French co workers told him they can it to Brno and take a cab to the engineering firm each day. We would not need a car for the week we are in Brno.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Yes we know your husband is staying in Brno....but thought you will want to do some trips while he's at work/conference ......

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

Yes, that's what I mean. A cab from Vienna airport to Brno would cost a vast amount and would be an uncomfortable ride - it is almost 3 hours away. The bus has Wi-Fi, movies, all mod cons, and costs about €15.

While you are in Brno you can hire a car and take a day or two to check out Mikulov/caves, etc, but otherwise public transport in Brno itself is second to none, and you can walk to most places in the centre, so return it when you have finished. Unless the engineering firm is somewhere totally inaccessible, the tram or bus should take you there, but if the company is paying for a cab to get there, then fair enough.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 20:40
6. Re: Rental Car and Cab to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:18