We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Olomouc

Which Olomouc hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A day in Olomouc

Hello,

I will be spending a day in Olomouc in springtime.

I would like to know if there is any English spoken in Olomouc ?

Thank you,

Masaryk

Böhmen
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Olomouc

No, why should be? They speak Hanacky in Olomouc.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 03:22
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,815 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Olomouc

in Holomóc you mean :)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,815 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Olomouc

But yes - English will be spoken widely as well, but not universally. German might be useful as well as a backup if you have no Czech.

Olomouc
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Olomouc

Olomouc is the biggest university town in the Czech Republic by percentage of population (23500 students in a city of around 100000, so equal to around a quarter of the population) and all those students will have done at least three years of english at high school.

It's only good manners ot learn the niceties of Czech, but even if you struggle with that i'm sure you'll have no trouble communicating. In any case you're not likely to meet a huge number of people if you're only giving the city one day...

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Olomouc

We met quite a few young people speaking perfect English (stayed there at the beginning of this month) - I totally agree with InfoPoet about the students speaking English. I think the older generation may know some German, but there are not that many... Lovely historical city with a feel of University town, definitely. Worth staying at least 2 nights IMO...

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Olomouc

I look forward to your view and experiences of Olomouc. I have been twice but many years ago and one trip was to Sigma and out again. My first ever beating by "black sheriff"!!! Not my fault - honest!

7. Re: A day in Olomouc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 20:35
8. Re: A day in Olomouc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Olomouc