We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

Lonely Planet has just released an overview of their top 50 "hidden gems" in Europe called Secret Europe. It is available free of charge for download. Lo and behold, Olomouc is number one. Here's what they say about it in case you are too busy or lazy to download (it's free, so I assume it is fine to copy and paste):

Discover a New Old Historical Capital

As countless tourists embrace the overt charms of Prague and Český Krumlov, the city of Olomouc (olla-moats) is practically unknown outside of the Czech Republic, emerging as the travellers’ equivalent of a special restaurant that is your own little secret. The main square counts among the country’s most charming, surrounded by historic buildings and blessed with a Unesco-protected trinity column. The evocative central streets are dotted with beautiful churches, many of which play host to a thrilling history. Explore the foundations of ancient Olomouc Castle at the must-see Archdiocesan Museum, then head for one of the city’s many pubs or microbreweries.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/secret-europe/

p.s. Take it with a HUGE grain of salt, as Prague, which is certainly not hidden, is 32nd on the list (for its cafes).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

Of course I would put Brno as #1 on the list of hidden gems :) but Olomouc would definitely be up there as well.

I reckon Prague's place at 32 is probably justified, as it is anything but hidden ...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

I’ve visited Olomouc only a handful of time, so I am no expert on it, but to me, Olomouc is a nice larger town. It struck me when we visited last year, how clean and apparently well-maintained it looked; something on a level that on would see in Austria. But is just a nice town, and is not spectacular or really that unique. It seems like worth a stop for a portion of a day while passing through Moravia between Krakow and Vienna.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

As far as LP’s list of “hidden gems” goes, it is confusing. Some entries ARE hidden gems (like Olomouc), while other entries describe the hidden gems WITHIN the listed city (the hidden gems in Prague are the coffee shops on above the street level.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

Id say olomouc is a great place, really enjoyed it whilst travelling through czech republic, When in breno and prague it is refreshing as it is much calmer than brno which in turn is just a bit calmer than prague. No where better really just a great country in all..

Edited: 11 August 2014, 20:31
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

Agree with everyone on here though I am biased as I have family there. Olomouc is a brilliant place with everything a tourist could need. They also have an annual flora exhibition for people who are interested in that.

6. Re: Olomouc is LP's number one "hidden gem" in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Olomouc