We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

I'm planning a 14-day holiday for my daughter (aged 14) & I to Poland in Aug07. We're into scenary, culture & history. I've worked out the folowing itinerary based on info I've gathered from entries in TripAdvisor :

Day 1 : Arrive Krakow in the morning. Take a bus to Zakopane. See wooden churches, visit the market etc. Overnight in Zakopane.

Days 2 - 4 : Visit Tatra mountains & its vicinity (Kuznice, Kalatowki, Kasprowy Mountain, Morskie Oko (the Eye of the Sea), Kasprowy Wierch and Gsienicowa Valley); 3 nights in Tatra Mountains.

Day 5 : Morning train from Tatra Mountains to Krakow. Visit Wieliczka Salt Mines in the afternoon. Overnight at Krakow.

Days 6 - 8 : Free & Easy in Krakow (Town Tour, Auschwitz, Wawel castle, Pszczyna Castle, Ojcow National Park including Pieskowa Skala Castle, Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, Cloth Hall, Market Square, St Mary’s Church, Jewish Quarter); Overnight train on day 8 to Gdansk.

Day 9 : Arrive Gdansk in the morning. Free& Easy in Gdansk;

Day 10 : Day trip to Sopot (a day at the beach, spa ?)

Day 11 : Day trip to Gdynia (acquarium & scenary)

Day 12 : Torun; Explore town. Overnight in Torun;

Day 13 : Gdansk Free & Easy;

Day 14 : Day trip to Marlbork Castle;

Day 15 : Am flight to London on Wizzair.

Pls advise if above is do-able. I would also appreciate input to the following queries :

(a) Safety in Poland for a lone female & a young daughter

(b) If there is overnight train service from Krakow to Gdansk; Safety on board the overnight train.

(c) Understand that there's a Galicia Jewish Museum dedicated to people who helped hide and protect people who may otherwise have ended up in deathcamps near Kazimierz. Is it easy to get to Kazimerz ?

(d) Understand also that there's a walking tour of Schindler's List. Is this worth doing & how do we go to this walking tour ?

(e) Is it better to base in Zakopane, & take trips up to Tatra daily in days 2 - 4 ?

(f) we're travelling on a budget. Are there train / transport passes which we could use throughout Poland in the 14 days ?

(g) We're travelling from mid Aug & yet to book accomodations. I hope I'm not too late.

Any other suggestions / tips which I should also take into consideration are welcome & deeply appreciated.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

you've done some homework....but...take the bus or van from krakow to and from zakopane...never ever the train.....train travel 2ond class is increadibly cheap in poland....so no need for a pass...i've never had problems on trains...nor have my sigle travelling girl friends....but often 1st class is empty and i feel more vulnerable travelling that way....so safety in numbers is my rule so go 2ond class......why dont you lop off a day or so in the gdansk area and/or zakopane( as some of those things you can bundle into one day) and stop in warsaw on the way...the old town area is wonderful....some really great palaces also.....so historical!.....you wont be sorry.....how can you go to poland and not stop in warsaw especially since you are going right through it...ouch!.....when you arrive in poland i would stay in krakow....you will be tired and jet lagged....do krakow....then go on to zakopane...if you going to pszczyna and kawaleria z....why not go nearby to wadowice to see the popes birthplace....in gdansk...take one of the boat rides....either to westerplatte (shorter of the two)...or to the hel peninsula......get started on booking...when in krakow the 1st thing you do is get ticketts to the wawel cathedral....and the state rooms (not the residence) of the castle.....if you dont get your ticketts early you might not be able to see them and they are must sees in krakow!!!!!!!....otherwise i think you have the right idea on most things

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

Casey, thank you for your invaluable input. I'll tailor the itinerary to incorporate Warsaw as well. Thank you.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

excellent.!...and when the time arrives...i'll let you know where to stay and what to do in warsaw

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

I would take casey advice and go for couple of days to Warsaw. You can cut trip to Gdynia out - no much to see there.

Remember - you will need all day for Auschwitz and have branch befor getting there - don't think you will be able to eat after.

For polish train services go to:

http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

Thank you Hubert.

Casey, Hubert, I'm wondering if it's a sensible thing to do to only book accomodations for our first night & last night in Krakow & Gdansk respectively, leaving accomodations for days in between unbooked until we arrive. This is to maintain some flexibility in our itinerary (eg, we may decide to stay 2 nights in Torun, less nights in Krakow etc. We're travelling from 18 Aug - 31 Aug. Any advice ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

I have never travelled without any accommodation booked, so I can not give you any advice about it. Sorry........

You have to take into consideration that August is still school holidays season in Poland though!

One more thing. If you are planning to go south-north - why don't you want to stop in Warsaw for couple of days, then take a train in the morning to Torun and leave Torun in the evening. One all day is enough for Torun and it is on the train line Warsaw-Gdansk...

x x

hubert

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

Thanks Hubert. I will tailor the itinerary to include Warsaw & Torun as suggested accordingly. Looking fwd to my trip.

8. Re: Feedback requested for proposed 14-day Poland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:17