We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using buses for intercity

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
using buses for intercity

My friend who is of Polish birth suggests I use buses to go to and fro cities rather than the train. He thinks buses are safer from a theft point of view.

I am going from Cracow to Wroclaw to Poznan to Warsaw

I have not been able to find the bus companies that offer intercity of course there must be but would like to find their website

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using buses for intercity

take the train....its so easy and you dont have to worry about traffic etc....it gets you exactly where you want to go....the center of the city....if you are worried about crime....and with the usual precautions you shouldnt.....take second class....always crowded....safety in numbers i say...i've done this route many times....having said that....the stretch between krakow and woclaw is a bit slow by train...you might check out the bus as i hear the highway between the two cities is new and perhaps very fast.....so it might just be faster to take the bus there

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using buses for intercity

Thanks was talking to my bud last night. He was born actually in the town of Auschwitz. He goes back regularly he said to be careful and would take bus over the train on those routes. He also said take 1st class as most Poles would take 2nd. I love trains I have been all over Europe, Australia, New Zealand and of course Canada by train but he kind of scared me. This is a young guy 27 telling me this

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using buses for intercity

i dont know why certain poles insist on scaring foreigners....if you take 1st class in poland...often you are the only ones ... or one of the few in the whole section....if a problem arises you are on your own....in 2ond claas its full...no one is going to try anything with so many people around....safety in numbers...just take the ordinary precautions...these are heavily traveled routes....travel during the daytime hours,take the usual precautions you would take anywhere,then relax and have a great time....train travel in poland is efficent and above all cheap....and safe!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using buses for intercity

Thanks maybe I will stay away from discussing the transportation issue with him

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using buses for intercity

Sounds like he's trying to scare you or has not travelled much here recently. Trains are fine from a safety point of view, but buses can be quicker. There are many private bus companies running routes between towns which is why it's difficult to find operators. Once you're here it's much easier.

Also, just so you know... Auschwitz is the German name for the Polish town of Oświęcim and is the name now used for the death camp the Nazis set up there. It would be a very unusual for a 27 year old to have been born in Auschwitz!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using buses for intercity

I know about Auschwitz. My bud was born in the town you mentioned in a hospital. He goes to Poland at least every 2 years

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using buses for intercity

I get the impression that ex-pats always err on the pessimistic about their home country :) Many posts I see on this forum and my 'home' forums (Czech/Slovak Republics) concern safety - as if people expect knife-wielding maniacs everywhere :)

Do not worry - the most dangerous thing about Poland are the roads and the drivers on them, but otherwise it is extremely safe.

(Not only) for this reason, I would get the train - it is much more pleasant. Believe me, pickpockets and thieves can find much more lucrative ways of making a living than hanging out on a local Krakow to Wroclaw train ...

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using buses for intercity

Thanks,I have been to your country too. Prague is beautiful. However I did have the ultimate taxi driver rip off in Prague. If it weren't for this friend and believe me he is the best of friends, I would not have thought of Poland. However I am using air points and I have read enough that I want to see the various towns

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using buses for intercity

Yes - you are right about the taxis, and I think that everybody, ex-pat or not, would advise you never to get a taxi in Prague - the taxi drivers there (and Bratislava/Slovakia/) are some of the biggest thieves around :) But that is not generally true of the trains - just keep your wits about you as you would anywhere else. I personally have never lost anything on a train travelling around Central Europe.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using buses for intercity

Thanks I do hope to get back to Prague.