We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car crime in Poland

sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car crime in Poland

I am driving later in June through Norway, Finland, Estonia etc, then into Poland, staying in Augusto, Gdansk, Szczecin, then Hamburg.

I don't want to annoy people with another whinge about driving in Poland but was recently told by a British driver of been stopped by people in a police car with uniforms on who then tried to steal his car, is this likely to be true! If it happened what is the best way to get out of this situation.

On more positive note any tips on what to see on this Northern Polish route.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car crime in Poland

Car theft in poland is common. Not sure vs other countries but it's pretty high.

Maybe last few years it has improved but 5-10 years ago it was pretty bad.

That's why many car rental places from other countries don't allow you to drive to poland.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car crime in Poland

Police trying to steal a car? As you are English you might not know that police in Poland can just check you, if you are sober, having all required documents and so on. But be aware of car stealers as well. It is pretty frequent your car is stolen but honestly I have never had any bad experience whilst over there.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car crime in Poland

There is car crime in Poland as there is in UK. The situation has probably dramatically improved in the last few years but usual precautions. There are many places offering guarded car parking [parking strzeżony] but you see many cars just parked on streets overnight. If you have a highly attractive car then be on your guard just as you would in UK. Hadn't heard the one about Police stealing cars so maybe urban myth but guess the same could happen in UK. You must have all your documents with you when driving - driving license with photo [or passport as well if old style paper license], Insurance, MOT and Car Reg document. If you pass a town sign [black skyline on white] this means urban speed limit, 50 Kph, even if it looks like middle of nowhere. Police are often to be seen near crossroads out in the country as speed limits drop as you approach the Xroad.

Worth seeing are obviously Gdansk itself, Hel Peninsula, and the Elblag canal. A number of times, 7 I think, the boats on the canal have to be transported by rail because of the gradients. Float into a frame, down a rail track and back into the water. Different!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car crime in Poland

I've never had any problem driving around Poland in terms of safety. To be on the safe side, leave your car in secured parking lot, especially for over night. In cities, hotel's parking fee can be as much as 80zł. But if you're doing the country route, most B&B or smaller hotels throw in parking for free.

From Gdansk to Szczecin, there's lots of seaside resort towns/villages which you could detour to for lunch. One notable attraction is Park Słowinski (access from Łeba) - some call it the Sahara by the Sea, others, a giant sandpit.

Ustka, Kołobrzeg are some of the popular spots with tourist facilities.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car crime in Poland

I drive to, from and within Poland with a car with UK plates and have never had any problems with the police. Just be aware that there's a system of on-the-spot fines for speeding, and if you don't have the cash on you (which you need to pay if you're a foreigner with no registered address) they'll accompany you to an ATM to withdraw the cash.

I've never heard of people impersonating police trying to steal cars, nor of genuine police men trying to steal cars.

sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car crime in Poland

Thanks for your advice,

sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car crime in Poland

Sorry if I was not clear in my original question. The story I heard was NOT the real police tried to steal a car but that criminals dressed as police in a car with siren, police markings pulled over a tourist and tried to steal the car.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car crime in Poland

We drove in Southern Poland for a month, sleeping in our van overnight in carparks and on roadsides as well and we never felt unsafe or had any bad experiences. Poland seemed very well organised.

http://www.travelmagpie.com

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car crime in Poland

If some criminals dressed as police tried to steal a car, whole Poland would talk about it. And I have never heard of such a nonsense.

10. Re: Car crime in Poland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 14:16