We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

It is looking like my husband is going to have a conference in Warsaw next May (end). We have never been to Poland before. I know it is hard to suggest places to go without knowing a little about our traveling style. I am a history buff and teacher. My engineer husband is a WW II buff. We enjoy walking, good food, but Hubby is not into most museums. He was enthralled at the House of Terror in Budpest SO it is not all museums.

I was thinking Warsaw, Krakow and maybe Prague. While we have been to Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary several times, we haven't been to the Czech Repulbic yet. Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Poland
Poland
Europe
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Austria
Austria
Europe
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

before deciding on prague... you should know its a long connection by train from krakow....that or a flight through warsaw...or maybe best hiring a driver to take you there.....its close on the map but there are mountains in between so the train trip is quite long....if prague isnt an option....try this....warsaw,poznan,wroclaw,krakow then onto zakopane in the mountains....then back to warsaw...its a big circle and you get the excellent cities of poznan and wroclaw plus the mountain resort town of zakopane

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

Thanks for the options. I did check into plane tickets and it was $140 on LOT. Hubby is not fond of the trains. The Prague pieces isn't a must and rather just an idea.

I do love driving in Europe. I am assuming that the roads are similar to Hungary where I have driven a few times. Having a car gives us the option to go where we want to without a written in stone schedule.

I will look into your suggested itinerary. Thanks!

Edited: 26 August 2011, 20:43
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Europe
Europe
World
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

Hi,

If your husband is interesting in WWII I think Gdansk and region could be interesting for him.

Here, on Westerplatte one of the first shots in WWII was fired.

Gdynia was the base of Kriegsmarine during the war.

The remains of Schlezwig Holstein Battery are still on Hel Peninsula.

You can see also some fortificartions from different ages - among other Gothic, Renaissance.

Not so far from Gdansk (abt 60 km) Stutthoff Concentration Camp was situated and now the Museum is established in this place.

Gdansk history can be also interesting for you.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Mentioned in this post
Gdansk
Gdansk
Pomerania Province, Poland
Westerplatte
Westerplatte
1,096 Reviews
Gdansk, Poland
Gdynia
Gdynia
Hel
Hel
123 Reviews
Baltic Coast, Poland
Janesville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

I just started planning a trip to Poland - also WWII buffs here. Just found out about Zagan - it's where the Great Escape movie was based. It's in SW Poland

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

the suggested route i gave you is based on train travel....if you are intent on driving i would suggest other options..but as i always say .... if you are just going in between big cities....the train is cheapest and best....but if for example you prefer to visit my favorite, and oddly enough my maternal ancestral lands... the south easter part of poland , its best done by car

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

Totally agree with Malgorzata about Gdansk, Gdynia and Hel Peninsula as must-see's for WWII history buffs. .

Still on WW2, there's Majdanek, outside Lublin. Warsaw is also a must - badly damaged in 1944. Though museums are not high on your list, the Warsaw Rising Museum is quite well-designed and presents clearly the events of the uprising.

Mentioned in this post
Gdansk
Gdansk
Gdynia
Gdynia
Hel
Hel
123 Reviews
Baltic Coast, Poland
Lublin
Lublin
Lublin Province, Poland
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

Thanks for the additional suggestions everyone! I have all of this winter to work on places to visit. Yeah, I think we will rent a car since my husband is NOT fond of the train. I have subjected him to several trains rides over the long years of traveling and I don't know which he has disliked the most. OK, I do think the two worst were the night train from Budapest to Munich and the train from Shanghai to Hangzhou. I still hear about both of these when I mention the word "train".

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
8. Re: Suggestions for a ten to twelve day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 07:16