We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

North NJ, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

Hi everyone,

A little background: I'm almost 24, now jobless, living in NJ. I haven't really got anything going for me here. I've jumped mediocre job to job for the past 6 years and I'm looking to get out. Adventure.

In 2011 I met a girl who lives in Poland and ended up going there on a whim for a few months in December and January. We traveled around Europe and it was all around just a wonderful time.

Now I'm looking to move there for the summer and stay for a year if I can find a job. I understand getting a job teaching English isn't easy without a certificate and without knowing more than basic polish, but I'd love to give it a shot. I've sent my CV off to a bunch of jobs already hoping to find someone to interview me, and she's gone around dropping it off at places too. If all else fails, her mother actually said she knew her office needed native speakers and that I could fall back on that.

If things are still going well, we'd move back to the states in May 2013 after finishing school.

Her parents actually own another flat and we would only have to pay 1000 pln/mo for it, which we both can easily afford to live in for a while.

Does anyone have any advice they could give? I'm a little confused about what I need to get done before I leave, and information on the net is a bit scattered and confusing. I want to buy a one way ticket, but I'm afraid I won't be let in if I don't have proof I'd return. Will I need a visa to stay there BEFORE I leave the US? Or could I go there and say I'm looking for work for the first 45 days and then attend interviews with employers in hopes of getting a work visa/permit? Could anyone else give me direction who has done this before?

I'm itching to get this plane ticket bought because I'd like to leave ASAP after a wedding May 18. Tickets are pretty cheap now but rising in costs daily. If I have to get a visa or permits here, I'll obviously have to push it back.

PS! Please don't respond by saying I'm crazy- I know I am. :) I embrace it. People told me I was crazy before leaving in December- and I still went for it, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Here is a photo I took from Warsaw during holiday months: http://500px.com/photo/7389566 :) Beautiful city.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

I think you should start with taking a look at the information on the US Embassy's website

…usembassy.gov/poland/visa_requirements.html

I may be wrong, but I do not think that you need to go back to the US after 90 days to apply for residence or work permit at the Polish Embassy in Washington. If you find a job, these things can be sorted out through local authorities here, with the help of your prospective employer. I have no experience with English teachers market, so I won't be able to help.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

What qualifications do you have? Have you actually taught English before? If you want to teach English without any recognised TOEFL paperwork you'll have a hard time persuading an employer to go through the hassle of applying for a work permit when there are plenty of EU people around already chasing what is a very competitive market. You'll have a much easier time if you can code, e.g. in Ruby or PHP or have some programming experience. You can always come over to visit but be aware that your visa is only valid in the Schengen Zone for 90 days out of any 180 days. Having a one way ticket is probably not the best idea.

North NJ, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

I don't have qualifications or certificates or anything. I know it's competitive, but hopefully I can just put a bunch of applications out there and talk my way into a position.

I can code but never have professionally. I feel like that's a very important part I don't know. Working in a team is much different than personal projects. I can do C#/Javascript, web design/html5/css3, some PHP/MySQL etc, but I never really have done it for a job and only learned by myself.

Do you think without a slated job they'll keep me at the border from entering Poland, with only a one-way ticket? If it comes down to it I could always get a loan from back home to come back- that's not an issue. My family would certainly love to have me back here, haha.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

I believe that nobody would keep you from entering Poland. Most people here have deep respect towards America and its citizens. Furthermore, it's quite uncommon that someone leaves the States in order to live in Poland.

Nevertheless, I suggest to get a long- term visa if you don't have a return ticket, just to be on the safe side. When looking at your (beautiful) photo, I saw you have a more or less Polish surname. That might help you a lot as you can say at border control that you come to Poland to learn the language or because of your ancestry.

Concerning job possibilities: Warsaw has nearly no unemplyment so it's not difficult to find a job. Be aware, though, that only people with a higher education or a specific profession get a good salery. Less educated ones usually get lower wages than in Western Europe. Still, it should be enough for everyday- life, especially if you are not alone. Warsaw is the capital city with lots of international companies, institutions, hotels, restaurants etc. I imagine that a native English speaker from the US is considered to be an enrichment for the business by many employers. You could also ask the US embassy or even a Polish cultural institue in the States for help.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

There are several posters from the States on Polish forums. You could contact them so they can share with you their experience in crossing the border.

I forgot to mention that there are only few direct transatlantic flights to Poland. If you have a transfer in e.g. Germany, France or somewhere else, you will pass border control there and not in Poland. I believe that they can be stricter.

6. Re: Trying to make a move to Warsaw. Looking for guidance!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:16