We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Trying to plan a trip for 3 people leaving the US May 16 and coming back May 23. Essentially, an 8 day, 7 night trip. Would like to incorporate Krakow, Warsaw, and Augustow.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Looking to rent a car to get around. Is this doable?

Which is the best airport to fly into? Are these destinations too spread out?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Day Trip to Auschwitz Birkenau and...
262 reviews
from US$87.10*
Full-Day Tour to Auschwitz-Birkenau...
92 reviews
from US$72.80*
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum and...
248 reviews
from US$47.90*
Special Offer
Krakow Super Saver...
797 reviews
from US$87.10*
US$94.50
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Kraków and Warsaw both have international airports but Warsaw has better connections and it's the only city in Poland with some direct flights to the US.

For Kraków- Warsaw route, it's probably better to take the train which needs lass than 3 hours to cover the distance.

Augustów is in a remote part of the country. Unless you have a special reason, it's not worth the trip. There are also trains between Warsaw and Augustów, you can check connections on

http://rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?

(names of stations- copy and paste: Kraków Główny, Warszawa Centralna, Augustów)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Wanted to go to Augustow because that's where my great-great-grandfather was born and raised before he emigrated to America. I'm going with my father and grandfather, and we're trying to find the town/street/house/etc where he lived.

As far as length of trip. All three of us have been to Poland before, but it must have been 10 or so years ago. We have about 7 nights, 5 days. How should we break up our time?

I'm thinking: 2 days Krakow, 3 days Warsaw, 1-2 Augustow. How does this look?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Correction: we have about 7 nights, 8 days, give or take.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

It depends on which places or sights you have already seen or want to revisit. If you plan to do any day trips from Kraków (e.g. Wieliczka salt mine, Zakopane and Tatra mountains, Auschwitz etc), I would stay longer in Kraków. There is nothing special to see near Warsaw.

I would stay 4 nights in Kraków, 3 nights in Warsaw and 1 night in Augustów. I have never been to Augustów, it's quite a small town (30.000 inhabitants) but the area is popular for its lakes and intact nature.

Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Augustów area is rather rural, with some lakes, forests and meadows. To fully appreciate this region you would have to spend at least 2-3 nights there, rent a boat, kayak or travel by bike as nature is the biggest asset of this place. Renting a car to get to Augustów would be the best idea as public transport is rather poor in that region.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 11:18
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

FrequentTraveler and rocking_pony, thanks for your input. I will definitely take your thoughts into consideration. Planning the trip now for a May departure. Will be back for more questions, of course.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

How long is a train from Warsaw to Augustow? Assuming there is a train that goes there daily.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Basically I'm flying into WAW on the 17th at noon, and am leaving the 24th. What's the best way to see all these cities? I want to emphasize Krakow and then Warsaw...so I don't mind if it's sort of lopsided. Maybe four nights Krakow, 3 Warsaw, 1 Augustow. Just trying to figure out when to do what.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Warsaw and Kraków (and all other major cities) are well linked will public transport. Trains between thes cities depart every hour, the journey lasts less than 3 hours. Trains are usually in a good condition on that route. If you want to go to Kraków just after arrival in Warsaw, I would suggest to book a domestic flight. So you do not need to leave the airport for the main station and would probably safe some time. Prices of Intercity trains and planes are usually quite similar, it even happened to me that a domestic flight was cheaper than the train. www.lot.com

Going to Augustów is quite complicated, it's really a remote area of Poland. There is only 1 direct train a day at 7:20 am (travel time 4:43h). Both other trains involve a transfer in Białystok (what affects the time on the train). You can also rent a car for Warsaw- Augustów route in order to travel independently. Note, however, that roads in this part of Poland are worse and you might not be used to the driving style.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow--Warsaw--Augustow

Thank you again, FT.

It's going to be an interesting trip, as Augustow is the main purpose of going, yet we want to spend the majority of our time in Krakow/Warsaw. We basically want to go to Augustow to find an old family home, see the town, and leave. Unfortunately, it's too far from Warsaw from a day trip...