We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow and (?) Warsaw

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow and (?) Warsaw

I'm going to my first time in Poland on April, but I just have 4 days overthere.

A friend told to stay in Krakow minimum 3 days... So I'd spend only "one" day in Warsaw, so... What's your advice: enjoying 4 days in Krakow or go for a one day in Warsaw!

If ur advice is going also to Warsaw, what's the best way to go from Krakow to Warsaw: rent a car (it's me and my parents), by train or by bus?!?

Note: I'm going to Krakow from Prague on April 23rd.

Let me know if you need more info about my trip, I do need this help!

Thanks!!! =))

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

Don't rent a car, it's a waste of money and time. You will easily get from Krakow to Warsaw by train in 3.5-4.0 hrs, get off in the very centre of the city. If you rent a car you will have to think about traffic jams, parking lots (and parking fees) etc. Warsaw has good public transportation system which is cheap and efficient, there are also safe and inexpensive taxis there so don't even bother renting a car.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

are you thinking about going krakow to warsaw, back to krakow then onto prague?....the train is the way to go

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

TBH 7-8 hrs round trip is enough for a day, never mind also spend a day's sightseeing in Warsawa - better to save Warsawa for another visit and do something within an hour or two out of Krakow - Ojcow, Auschwitz, the Kalvaria, Wielizcka ...

Edited: 05 March 2013, 17:50
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

Although I always recommend people to visit Warsaw, I believe it would be better to stay in Kraków in your case. Warsaw deserves more time, only one day wouldn't do it justice. Keep it for another trip and stay in Kraków instead. There are several beautiful and interesting places near Kraków which are perfectly suitable for a day trip: Wieliczka salt mie, Nazi- German concentration camp of Auschwitz, Zakopane and Tatra mountains, Ojców national park, Kalwaria Zebrzydowska etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

Hey Maria R:-) Is there any way you could add on a few more days?;-) You're coming the distance.. shame to miss out on Warsaw which IMO, shouldn't be a miss if in the Country! Both are wonderful Cities worth the time and effort to get to.. even if you can add a day, consider saving some time by flying to Warsaw for a couple of nights;-) You don't mention where you're going after Krakow.. Warsaw?! Bottom line, if you've only got the 4 days, I agree that with only 3 nights, you should stay put and get into the feel of the place.. and enJOY!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

@ rocking_pony Thanks for the advices! I'll follow them! Cheers!

@casey128 No, I'm going from Prague to Krakow then to Warsaw, not going the way back... Was that your question?!

@johnb121 Thanks!!! I'll take notes of your comment! =)

@FrequentTraveler Thanks a lot for your comments!

@Litsa Lovely comments! Thanks! So... I'm from Brazil and after Warsaw I'll be back to Brazil... Unfortunately I cannot change my tickets anymore... But I'll plan Warsaw for the next time then... It's better to "feel" the place than to make it in a hurry! =)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

Well said Maria R.. less IS more at times;-) It's that quality vs quantity issue once more;-) Save Warsaw for when can give it the time it deserves.. and for now, have fun in Krakow;-) Keep enJOYin'!

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

where are you flying into?....out of?....that will give us a better idea.....i'm a big fan of warsaw....the city reeks of massive movements of history....the kings,the nobility,the czar,the commies, the germans,the jews,and now the new poland....all have their footprint there.....i actually think you can make a day of it there...its too short a time, but you only have so much time....just wondering if you can do it with ease depending on your departure city or what would come next after warsw.......if that doesnt work, you must go to zakopane in the mountains....2 hours south of krakow.....polands #1 year round gettaway destination.....

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

@casey128 Thanks! You just gave more reasons to come back to Poland! =)

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow and (?) Warsaw

great....but first we have to make sure you have a bang up time the first time...lol