We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17-Day Poland Trip Report

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
17-Day Poland Trip Report

My husband and I recently got back from a 17-day trip that included:

- Gdansk (with day trips to Malbork, Sopot, and Gdynia)

- Torun

- Lublin (with a day trip to Zamosc)

- Krakow (with a day spent at Auschwitz-Birkenau)

- Zakopane

- Warsaw

I kept a blog (with pictures) but am far too long-winded to repost it here. So if anyone is interested, the report can be found under the category of Poland (naturally) at:

http://howieroll.wordpress.com/

In short, we loved Poland and had a great trip. We also accumulated a wealth of information from these forums and would like to thank everyone for their time and contributions, both to the questions we asked directly and to the questions asked by others. It's truly invaluable.

Thank you again!

Edited: 16 May 2013, 00:29
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Great report, thanks!

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

loved the blog.....it was quite extensive and entertaining.....i'm jealous you had such good weather....the coffee situation has gotten much better in poland....but you must choose your hotels correctly for that....for example, the quebus in gdansk has the most excellent coffee dispensing machine immaginable....i'm surprised that the writing down of your next destination trick didnt work at the train station....the far eastern towns like looo bliin are poor because the eu frontier is a few miles away and is some what of a barrier to trade......its like a dead end as it takes several hours to cross the frontier on a good day......its sad because people say it was better during communist times

Brisbane
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Fantastic trip report

Brisbane
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Hi

I read how you printed out the map of zamosc to get from mini bus station to city 2km, i did a search on google map and can't pinpoint the bus station. As we are doing a day trip to lublin to zamosc as well and didn't waste too much time getting lost from bus station. your help would be appreciated

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

I think I might have found it, is it the PKS bus station, is that the same place for mini buses or only large buses

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Really enjoyed your blog. Thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Thank you all for the kind comments!

Casey, the weather could not have been better, we did really luck out. And interesting comments about LOOOOO-bleen. We did have some high-highs and some low-lows there, but I really think in spite of everything, the high-highs made for a worthwhile stop.

And to the two Deb(orah)s from Australia, thank you!

Deb_Brissie, here is what I did for Zamosc: if you follow the link below (to WikiTravel), there is a pretty good map of Old Town, in fact it is similar to the one the TI will give you. I printed that out and had it, but you could just as easily wait to get a nice one with more information from the TI.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Zamosc

On the SE corner of that map is a street called Partyzantow. If you follow that street straight out (off the map) about 2 kilometers you will get to a street called ulica Gminna, turn left and the mini-bus lot was about a block down on the left. Here it is on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/9MBmr

We found the mini-bus easier to use because there are a ton of them coming and going. And I'm not sure where you are staying in Lublin, but the mini-bus station is much closer and more convenient than the train station. By the way, if you are on the sidewalk in Lublin and staring at the main bus station, the mini-bus parking lot is to your right about a block. Hope this helps and happy to answer any other questions!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Great, thanks for map and for the tip about where the mini-bus parking lot is. Do you need to have the correct change for the driver?

Also, I'm like you and try to be prepared and have written down on paper in Polish phrases / word that will assist us but I have found on many different translation sites from english to polish that the polish translation can be written in a number of different ways. Can you suggest the best polish to write down when buying tickets etc, which might be easier (if that is possible) when purchasing tickets.

Eg:

- Two one-way train / bus tickets 1st / 2nd class for 2 people to XXX

- Two return train / bus tickets 1st / 2nd class for 2 people to XXX

- When does the next bus / train leave to XXX

Also, did you find that at train / bus stations you can use ticket machines and do they accept on cards or do they accept cash.

Thanks for your help,

Brisbane
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Sorry another question, is it better to catch train from lublin to krakow rather than bus?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17-Day Poland Trip Report

Ok, let's see if I can try to answer your questions (keeping in mind I'm an expert on nothing):

1) The mini-bus driver could make change for us, but it was helpful to have small bills.

2) Here is what we'd write down for train/bus tickets (and I'm not saying it was entirely foolproof, but seemed to mostly work. The good news is numbers are universal)

Number of Bilety (tickets)

Date (day/month/year)

Time (using the 24 hour clock)

Klasa (class)

Towns involved

So here is an example:

2 Bilety

04/25/2013

14:05

Kl. 2

Gdansk (drawn arrow) Malbork

We never did a return ticket so I suppose you could indicate that a couple different ways or just write out another paper. And if you didn't know the time of the next train, maybe leave that part blank and hopefully they'd just sell you a ticket on the next one leaving. There are also usually timetables posted nearby.

3) A lot of stations had ticket machines (and all the ones we saw/used had an English option) and we'd try to use them first, but some of them didn't accept our credit cards and not all of them accepted cash (like the one at the Lublin train station).

4) Taking the train from Lublin to Krakow worked best for us (minus The Borscht Incident), in spite of the fact it left so early (and the only other one left at 16:00) because we wanted to get to Krakow early. My research showed the bus took over 5 hours (and is, naturally, dependent on traffic), while the train took 4h24m. We thought that was an awfully long time to sit on a bus, or worse, a minibus.

Hope that helps!