We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

Vaitape, French...
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

Hi all,

I am currently putting together an itinerary for a 7-8 day trip to Poland some time in August. I am planning to spend 3-4 days in Warsaw and the rest will be in Gdansk. I have a couple of questions if I may:

-- Based on some discussions here, many seem to recommend buses over trains from Warsaw to Gdansk. Is this still the case? Have the trains improved between 2012 and now?

-- On the day I travel back home, would it be reliable to take the bus from Gdansk to Warsaw and then to Warsaw Airport? Or should I consider flying? I wouldn't mind chopping my vacation a bit with 3 days in Warsaw, 3 days in Gdansk, and then one day in Warsaw because I generally try to avoid flying.

-- Judging from the pictures, I think I might enjoy Gdansk more than Warsaw (I'm an architecture/old town fan). Is that a correct assumption?

-- Last but not least, any off the beaten path recommendations for Warsaw and Gdansk?!

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

take the bus or you could even fly....flying intra poland is relatively inexpensive especially if you plan ahead..you could fly back to warsaw and be right at the airport for your flight home......with all that time,might i suggest you spend a day in torun along the way to gdansk.....its a unesco 0 class old town and it will break up the long ride to gdansk.....gdansh really has extrodinary architecture,but warsaws old town is quite charming....dont forget to do a night time walk there as the atmoshere is quite rare at night...i too am a fan of old towns....and poland excels in that department....with all your time i might even suggest warsaw,poznan,torun and gdansk....poznan another excellent and fun old town...you will have 4 totally different old town styles to visit

Vaitape, French...
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

Thanks for the advice casey128! Should I decide to do the four towns, how much time should I dedicate to each in the one week time that I have? And wouldn't it feel a bit rushed? If you were to choose between Torun and Gdansk, what would you choose? I wouldn't mind not going to Gdansk if Torun is more or less the same in a way. Thanks again.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

do not miss gdansk!.....like i said all 4 are DIFFERENT!....it might be a bit rushed to see all four,but when will you be back in that area again?...2 days warsaw,2 poznan,1 or 2 days torun,2 or 3 days gdansk....there are alot of side trips from gdansk....for example you will visit the charming seaside resort nearby of sopot, or marlbork castle... or a boat trip to hel, the hel peninsula....this boat ride take you past the famous gdansk ship yards and westerplatte which is where WW2 started..........you can do this trip numerous ways....hope i helped!

Vaitape, French...
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

That does help! Maybe I'll just focus on Gdansk and the surrounding areas although I'd hate to miss Torun! We'll see.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

you can easily do warsaw,torun and gdansk in that time period....enjoy!

6. Re: 1 week trip to Poland & travel options for Gdansk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:16