We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polush Liquor to bring back to US

Hazleton, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Polush Liquor to bring back to US

Any siggestions outside of vodka? Being half polish by means of ancestry and having a lot of polish american friends I want to bring something back we all could enjoy during the holidays. I will be in wroclaw for 1 day and 1 night.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

you mean to go to poland and not bring back vodka?.......hmmm......there are vodkas and then there are flavored vodkas....i like zubrowka, a vodka flavored by a blade of a certain grass.....i think its the most famous one.....for a sweet flavored vodka i like wisnowka which is cherry flavored......not all brands are equal....so go to a good licquor store and inquire there

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

If you don't want to take vodka back, try mead which is made from honey. The best (IMO) are the ones made by Mr Jaros - he also makes the lovely earthenware bottles they come in. There are various types of mead, depending on the proportion of honey to water, and there are also some flavoured with fruit and spices. They're great as an aperitif, neat or over ice. You can find them in the posh alcohol shops on the Rynek (next to Pod Jaszczurami student club) or at the beekeeper association's shop on pl. Szczepanski.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

As Ewa suggested, I think mead could be a good idea. It's quite sweet, most people enjoy its taste and it has many less % than vodka making it more easy to drink. It's not commonly drunk these days but specialized shops should have it, and so should shops at the airport. Other idea is a so called 'nalewka' which is traditionally served after food, I think the two most popular flavours are cherry and lemon, but there are nalewkas that are even made of ginger, walnuts, juniper, or honey. Nalewkas tend to be as strong as vodka or stronger but usually they are very easy to drink because of their sweetness.

Hazleton, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

I will get some flavored vodkas. I just assumed they are the same as yoyr typical flavored grey goose, belvidere, etc.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

i agree with the above - try mead! It's really tasty, especially when served warm!

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

Buffalo or "Bison" vodka is unique, travels well and different. A good change of pace and difficult to get in many places outside of Poland. In Russia, they always boasted about the Polish Bison vodka served, but they were also the same people that liked Grey Goose and Swedish vodka over the typical Russian vodkas.

Dick

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

these nalwki are warmly received back home....there are so many flavored vodkas......you can buy the small bottles for gifts..go to a good licquor store and a sales person might just help you out alot

8. Re: Polush Liquor to bring back to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20