We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poland or Germany?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
29 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Poland or Germany?

Hey guys!

Next year, my parents are flying me off to Europe as my coming-of-age gift. It won't be my first time there, but it will be my first solo trip on the continent.

I already know that I'm going to spend the entire trip in either Germany or Poland since I haven't been to these two countries yet. Also, I've always been fascinated with WWII so I'll have fun in either one. Problem is I can't decide between the two.

I'll be traveling during the summer season in mid-July to early August for exactly 30 days. I'm not picky about weather, sites or events.

As for the budget, I'm not a 5-star kind of person but I'm not exactly backpacker material either. I'm halfway.

So basically, if you were a girl who just turned 18, has been to Europe many times before, will be traveling in mid-July to early August with a comfortable budget and is interested in everything, would you go to Germany or Poland?

Any kind of input will be appreciated. :)

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poland or Germany?

you have a month....do some of both...after all they share a common border

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Poland or Germany?

Actually, the border is only on the map (both countries are in Schengen) so I do not quite understand why you have to choose. 30 days is a comfotable timeframe to see the highlights of both countries.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poland or Germany?

Hi,

You have a nice opportunity to share your time with Poland and Germany especially if you are interested in WWII.

You can start your trip for example in Berlin

and then go to Gdańsk where one of the first shots in WWII were given.

Gdańsk is the place where you'll find an objects from Gothic, Renaissance and other epocs.

Distant 12 km from Gdańsk - Sopot is SPA town with the longest wooden pier in Europe.

Close to Gdańsk Malbork Castle is situated

and Stutthoff extremination Camp from WWII time.

There are many places to see and to rest so you can plan at least 4-5 days.

In the first 2 weeks Dominican's Fairs are usuallly organized and if you like this kind of events

you can plan you viist accordingly.

You can make a loop and to go then to Warsaw, Krakow, Wrocław.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poland or Germany?

I'd also say visit both. 30 days is a great amount of time to see each of the 2 countries in a lot of detail, but if you split it between the two it will also be enough to give you a good taste of both of them. I always love to be able to spend so much time travelling in one country but you're still young, get a taste first, see what you really like and explore in more detail on your next trip :)

So if you decide to split your time 50/50, in 15 days in Poland you can see the major highlights and maybe 1-2 places off the beaten track. Of course, I think in 30 days you could see so much more and not have to be on a tight schedule, be able to just soak in the atmosphere, but some places like the Mazury lake district, a place not so commonly frequented by foreigners but adored by Poles, are better visited with a group of people. The same goes for a number of lovely small towns or places closer to the nature. Being a solo traveler you want to be in places where it is easy to meet new people and for this the largest cities are best. This doesn't mean you can't make some side trips for a day or two, of course.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
29 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poland or Germany?

Everyone has been so helpful! I appreciate the suggestions, jotted them down in a notepad. Thanks a lot you guys! xxxx

6. Re: Poland or Germany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:21