We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zakopane hiking in January

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Zakopane hiking in January

Hi all!

A year from now i will be in Zakopane, i am well aware of the snow and all. Are there any mountains to hike up for a good view or are the weather conditions too extreme?

Szczeliniec Wielki
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Errant Rocks
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, National Parks, Hiking Trails
Tall Stone Peak & Lookout Point
Mountains, Other Nature & Parks
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zakopane hiking in January

In theory most of the trails are open during winter time. But - considering the snow/ice/low temperature/wind/... I think it is insane to plan hiking anywhere higher than the valleys / refuges. Unless you are well prepared and fit for such an activity.

If the weather is good (ie sun is shining and there are no clouds covering the peaks) there are at least a few nice and technically easy things you can do:

- hiking the valleys (the longest have some 9 km - e.g. Dolina Chochołowska, Morskie Oko

- cable cars: Gubałówka - out of the main Tatra range (wonderful view of Tatras), Kasprowy (some 2 km above the sea level, part of the main range)

I would consider winter time as too extreme for more.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zakopane hiking in January

On most trails conditions are usually not too extreme but there is always great risk of ice on the trails and heavy wind. Having said that, you must be prepared well. It is not so easy as in the warmer months.

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zakopane hiking in January

Thank you!

4. Re: Zakopane hiking in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now