We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bialowieza National Park

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Bialowieza National Park

Hey guys and girls.

Is Bialowieza National park worth visiting in mid January? As in, will we see anything because of all the snow? It is a far journey from Warsaw so there will be a lot of travel and moneybeing put into this journey.

Thank you.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bialowieza National Park

On the weather - who knows. That part of Poland has had it pretty bad this year - a hell of a lot worse than we have with daytime temps here getting towards 20 this week! (Bialystok was minus 15, daytime, last week) But the town is 240km from Warsaw and what I see is journeys with 2 or more changes and journey times of 5-8 hours.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bialowieza National Park

It is the most natural of all national parks in Poland. 100-year old forest, swamps, animals... I think it is worth visiting, but - winter is not the best time for the first visit. If you have been there already - don't hesitate - it will be empty :) (I guess you haven't, though).

As far as the travel is concerned, I would recommend a car. For quite a long time there have been no trains to Białowieża, or even Hajnówka. And any other option (bus) is too much hassle. If the weather is ok, you should be there in some 3 to 4 hours.

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bialowieza National Park

Yep it'll be my first time to Poland. So it is worth the visit?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bialowieza National Park

Depending on your travel goals :). It is a 100-year old wild forest, very likely to be frozen and covered with snow. I'd say if you want to see the park in its full beauty - come in the summer. But in January it is also beautiful... but it's a different kind of beauty. I am not sure if you have had a chance to see such views in where you live.... Search google images for "białowieża zimą", see the photos, pack some warm clothes and go :)

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bialowieza National Park

Yeah i am from Australia, i have only seen snow once in my 23 year old existence. I love it! So what people who live amongst snow year in and year out would call annoying, i call it beauty!

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bialowieza National Park

you might not feel that way when its 10 below zero.....just how long do you think you will last outside in that kind of weather?

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bialowieza National Park

How much time are you going to spend in Poland? There are other must-sees in the country with better access and more popular (well, there always is a reason for that). I would go to Bialowieza only if I seen other must-sees (like Krakow, Torun, Gdansk, Zakopane... which is great in winter btw... etc.) or if I were a nature-lover who would skip architectural wonders for trees covered in snow. Your call :)

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bialowieza National Park

Ok. Get warm clothes (really warm, it may be well below 0 in January). Find a good hotel - there are many. Find a guide. And GO! The only thing you risk is that there will be no snow in winter next year...

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bialowieza National Park

We will be in Poland for nearly a month. Hitting up Warsaw, Malbork, Gdansk, Poznan, Krakow, Zakopane.

10. Re: Bialowieza National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22