We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

Hey all.

My girlfriend and i will be in Warsaw arriving on the 24th of December this year. We are staying in the Mercure Warsaw Centrum and we dont know anyone in Warsaw. What do we do for dinners and food etc during these two dates? Being public holidays i can only guess that many restaurants will be closed. Will there be anything open for us?

Thank you.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

Kman15sydney... These are two the most important days in the catholic countries... including of course Poland.

1. Kolacja Wigilijna - Christmas Eve Supper. Served from approximately 4 pm, consisting of 12 traditional dishes. Have look at Wikipedia or other sites to get a feeling of what you may expect. I personally don't like it too much :) but for example my wive and the older son - love it.

It is a family gathering, there is no tradition of going out anywhere, except of course for those who leave for holidays (skiing etc). But - they do not stay in Warsaw...

2. Christmas Day - also considered a family time. No restrictions on food nor drinks :), but again... we spend that time at home with families, not in restaurants.

To cut it short, there will be only a few restaurant open in Warsaw after 3-4 pm on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. Honestly, you'd have much more chances of finding anything decent in more touristy places like Kraków or Zakopane. More and more people (but still not too many) choose to spend their Christmas away, including the Christmas Eve dinner .

This is the last year list of restaurants open at that time: warsawfoodie.pl/2013/… (sorry, Polish only).

I am unsure about the hotel restaurants...

Restauracja Polska Różana is on the list of the places open on 25.12 - it is in my opinion THE best place in Warsaw with Polish food. Go there on the 1st day (closed on 24.12, at least this year).

3. Boxing day - is more relaxed and many more places are open.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

I would add that shops also close early on Christmas Eve (around 4 pm) and most of them do not reopen until after Christmas so get your snacks etc before they close. After that the only places selling that type of food will be petrol stations, small family-owne shops, and a few shops at the main train and bus stations.

Local media usually publish lists of shops and restaurants open during Christmas closer to the date and they may not be the same places as in previous years. I am pretty sure that if you ask your hotel, they will be able to suggest something.

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

Thanks guys!

Yeah i thought with Poland being a very Catholic country that a lot of places would be closed. Thank you macieii, the last alternative is always room service lol.

Isn't it a custom for Polish families to leave a place or two free at the table in case strangers arrive, which means i can go door knocking until people agree to feed me lol?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

:) Indeed it is the tradition to have one spare place for a stranger coming for your Christmas Eve.

Never heard about anybody letting anyone in this way :)

Seriously speaking, relax, wait until mid-December and come back with your question then :) Either someone will get you home or we'll find a suitable restaurant for you :)

5. Re: Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:16