We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic

Hi :)

My partner & I are hoping to travel around Eastern Europe during our University holiday (before going back to full-time work!)

We've scoured through TripAdvisor, forums, blogs & have a good idea what we'd like to do but thought we'd get other people's opinions on our specific (flexible) itinerary.

So, us:

*i'll be 25, he'll be 31

*we're interested in most things (e.g. pretty old towns, history, trekking, experiencing local culture)

*we'll be budget backpacking to have more money on decent food, buses, trains, entry fees, etc

As it will be winter, we know it might be difficult (particularly in Jan-Feb) to do things so the set times in the itinerary are just a guide if all were to go smoothly.

Basically the whole month of February is free for catching up on time for weather-stoppages, extra things we find we want to do along the way, or just days of rest!

Here is our rough itinerary, any suggestions of what to add/miss for first-timers is very welcome!

(i'll focus on Poland here as i couldn't find a way to post in a generic Europe forum)

Nov 1-2 = fly to Moscow

Nov 3-18 = Russia

Nov 19-24 = Estonia

Nov 25-Dec 2 = Latvia

Dec 3-8 = Lithuania

Dec 9-23 = POLAND

Dec 24-29 = Czech Republic

Dec 30-Jan 13 = Slovenia

Jan 14- Feb 2 =Croatia

Feb 3-Mar 3 = extra time for anywhere along the way & visiting family in London

Mar 4-6 = fly home

Poland:

Dec 8 = overnight bus from Vilnius to Gdansk

Dec 9-11 = Gdansk

Dec 12-14 = am train to Poznan, then 2.5 days in the city

Dec 15-17 = am train to Warsaw, then 2.5 days in the city

Dec 18-23 = Krakow (inc. daytrips to Wieliczka Salt Mine, & Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum)

Sorry the post is so long!

& Thanks so much for any advice/criticism at all :)

-Steph

Pyrzowice, Poland
Level Contributor
713 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

I would suggest rather Wrocław than Poznań and itinerary: Gdańsk - Warszawa [train] - Kraków [train] - Wrocław [bus] -> Czech Republic. Wrocław is a vibrant, European city with a medieval taste, many sights too see, museums to go and different food to eat. Choosing this option you can get a wider view of this part of Europe and its complicated history. There will be a big Christmas Fair in Wrocław (and Kraków as well).

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

You've already taken on board one very important point - weather. Winter 2012/13 was MUCH worse than 13/14, therefore our winters can be seen to be unpredictable. Pack accordingly and do your research so you have a selection of "fair weather and foul" plans depending on the weather on the day.

Just as an example, Auschwitz will be miserable on a bitterly cold, wet day, when Wieliczka Salt Mine is, obviously, dry and also has a stable temperature (therefore nice and cool in summer and pleasant in winter).

Krakow is home to its own excellent museum system and the main units of the National Museum - it's also home to a LOT of fun things, too LOL!!

It's not clear where you're from, but don;t overlook Poland outside the cities - just a few ideas - Malbork, Ojcow, Zakopane, the Masurian Lakes ...

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

Hi,

I also suggest you to go to Warsaw from Gdansk and then Krakow, Wroclaw, Prague.

If you feel hardy enough you can include Malbork to your itinerary.

Please note also Poland belonges to Central Europe.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

i also agree....gdansk to warsaw....but with a stop in torun along the way.....also....to prague via wroclaw.....but you might want to still go to poznan by doing it this way;....gdansk,torun,poznan,warsaw,krakow (you might want to visit zakopane in the mountains from here....polands #1 gettaway destination),wroclaw,prague....you should be able to fit this in during the time alloted

5. Re: Eastern Europe Winter Trip Nov 2014-Feb 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16