We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Queensland
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

I am travelling with my Dad through Estonia (and popping across to St Petersberg), then down through Lativa, Lithuana, Poland then through Prague and Cesky Kromlov before staying in Austria. We do not want to be on a tour, but travel ourselves and have about 2 weeks to get to Austria. We will probably land in Helsinki (still being sorted) and make our way down through these countries. We will be independent travellers using local transport and staying in hotels along the way. We are fit but not interested in climbing mountains nor nightclubbing and will have a reasonable budget :).

My question(s) are - if you had 14 days what would the ideal itinerary look like? What form of transport would you take? What warnings would you offer? What is/are absolute must sees?

In advance, thank you.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

I felt dizzy just reading your post. You want to travel through 7 countries (plus a side trip to St Petersburg) in 14 days? That's two days per country, not counting travel? Unless you scale down your itinerary, that trip is going to end up as one big blur in your memory.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Ozzlem is right - this itinerary is not feasible unless you want to spend literally all your time on the move. You need to focus and allow yourselves 2-3 days minimum in each place.

Pyrzowice, Poland
Level Contributor
682 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Agree with both above. Actually you can easy spend one -not boring- week in St.Petersburg. There is not too much to do in Helsinki, so maybe limit to: Tallin / St.Petersburg - Riga - Warsaw - Kraków -Prague / Krumlov - Vienna . No... it's too much either (to say nothing of transfer schedule). Extend time or reduce itinerary.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Half a day for transfers between

- Helsinki and St Petersburg

- St Petersburg and Tallin

- Tallin and Riga

- Riga and Vilnius

- Warsaw and Kraków

- Kraków and Prague

Full day for

- Warsaw-Vilnius

- Prague-Viennn

5 days of PURE travel time.

This leaves you with 1 day per each town...

Either do the Baltics tour: Helsinki-St Petersburg->Tallin-Riga-Vilnius or the CEE tour: Warsaw-Kraków-Prague-Vienna

Queensland
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Thank you all for your contributions. I know it is a tough itinerary. I have taken your advise and scaled it down and given the route 2 1/2 weeks. Going to St Petersberg is something we would like to do, but the question is would you go for 2 days or not at all? Knowing something has to go, is Vilnius/Kaunas worth the visit? If we travelled from Riga to Warsaw, where might you have an overnight in Lithuania? I am not sure of the best method of travel/transport between these two points. Any advise would be grateful.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Re St Petersburg: yes, it's worth two days, still better than nothing ;) My first time there was for half a day... really awesome city, much more interesting than Moscow...

Vilnius is on your way from Riga to Poland - so you could make a stop there for a day and make a rush through the old town and the nearby Troki castle. (I would skip the Kaliningrad area just to save the hassle of double border crossing). Is Vilnius worth the visit ? For me - as a Pole - it is. Nice mid-sized charming city with nice old architecture and the charm that has gone long time ago e.g. from Warsaw or Kraków. Kaunas - I'd skip it.

How to travel... I used to fly or drive between these places. Vilnius-Warsaw -definitely flight is the fastest option (0:50 as opposed to some 8 to 10 hrs by anything else).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

Hi, we are from Sydney going to have self-driving holidays of similar rout to yours Poland-Lithuania-Latvia-Estonia back to Germany ( that's where we hire a car ) and flight home via Helsinki ( 3 days) . How was your trip ? What were the highlits in the con tries we are going to visit. Any advice will be appreciated .

Thanks , rm

8. Re: September to Estonia, Lativa, Lithuana, Poland & St Petersbu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2015, 11:15