We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gdansk

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gdansk

Hi all,

We are thinking of going to Gdansk around the middle of October. Looking for info regarding the weather...decent hotels...and how far is the city from the airport. Are there good transport links from the airport at reasonable prices? Sorry to be so clueless, but I know very little about Gdansk. Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Pat.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gdansk

Hi there

Gdansk is a fantastic city, we visited last August/September and had a wonderful time.

Bus B runs from the Airport to the town centre/railway station. You can buy tickets from the information desk at the airport - they cost about 4 zloty 20 gr - the journey can take up to 45/50 minutes (, think the 4.20 zl ticket covers travel for an hour) due to traffic and road works. You may also need a separate ticket for any large items of luggage you have. Don't forget to punch them in the machine just before the bus leaves. http://www.zkm.pl/eng/indexht.php?index=13 should give you some more information

I'd certainly recommend a visit to the Roads to Freedom Solidarity Museum - a wonderful, moving and inspiring exhibition about Solidarity and the fight for freedom in Poland

The National Museum has some wonderful paintings including works by Polish artists Piotr Michalowski, Stanislaw Wyspianski and Jacek Malczewski. It also includes Hans Memlings wonderful triptych "The Last Judgement".

The Church of St. Mary has some lovelyl decoration and sculpture, such as an effecting peieta and the beautiful Madonna of Gdansk plus an impressive Astronomical Clock. Also the views from the tower are worth the trip up there.

The old Town Hall is also very interesting, especially the highly decorated Red Room and, again, the views from the Tower.

A stroll along the Motlawa and past the reconstructed Medieval Crane is also a must and Gdansk is a perfect base from which to visit Sopot, a lovely coastal town with a great pier.

As for nightlife and restaurants there is plenty to choose from.

Gdansk is a relaxed, friendly city and a good choice for a visit. Enjoy!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gdansk

Hi,

Many thanks for the info on Gdansk, seems that it is a must to visit.

I think we will definitely go in mid October. Can't decide if 3 nights is enough or would 4 be wiser? I'd also appreciate any good hotel suggestions if anyone can recommend something in 3/4* range or even a very good B&B.

All suggestions welcome, and thanks again.

Kind regards,

Pat.

England
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gdansk

I was there in Feb. The roads to freedom exhibit was closed for a revamp but it may be open again now. I stayed at the Angela who was great (see the reviews on here for it).

I would spend 5 nights if you can - there's loads to see and do. Musts around Gdansk are Malbork castle and Torun.

Gdansk is a great city - have a great time there.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gdansk

I stayed at Hotel Krolewski which is right across the river from Old Town. It was a lovely place. I would highly recommend it.

I also stayed at Jaskowy Dworak which is in Gdansk, but not in Old Town. It's more like a B&B and it was charming.

I would recommend either, however if you want to be close to Old Town, I would check out Krolewski.

Both times I came into Gdansk it cost 70 zloty to go to the hotel (even tho' they were in 2 different places) and around 25 - 50 to get back to the airport. I guess it's just part of being a tourist. Maybe they have a surcharge, who knows.

Can't help you with the weather.

Anyway, I'm sure you will love Gdansk.

5. Re: Gdansk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Gdansk