We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

I may have the chance to go to Gdansk for the last week in February and have been looking (in vain) for a reasonable central hotel. Has anyone any ideas of best area to stay in or any recommendations where a solo female would feel safe at night please? I am more into cinema, theatre and eating out rather than a lively clubbing area. Also would like to have easy access to all the museums.

A big ask I know but would appreciate any tips or advice as I have limited time to research and will be offline for a lot of time between now and the trip...

Cheers Loo

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

I don't think there is anywhere in central Gdansk where you as as single female will feel unsafe. The first week of February is *today*. The main problem is that the Trojmiasto (Three Cities), Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia have a definate season starting at the end of March. So clubbing as in the UK definition will be limited.

The crime rate in Poland is higher than the UK but if you apply the normal safety rules you will be OK.

Sopot is party central in the summer but a lot quieter off season. I love Sopot! I suppose a few questions come up, are you going on business or pleasure? Where in Gdansk will you be doing? Sopot to central Gdansk is 20 minutes by train so you could stay there as there is a very good train system between Gdynia - Sopot - Gdansk.

Where is Cokyy? The local expert on all things transport in the Gdansk area. I've not seen Cokyy here for a while

So I suppose, what kind of hotel do you want? Where are you going in Gdasnk? Travel time? etc etc?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

I suppose other advice might be go to M&S and exchange enough cash to get you through the first 24 hours and then exchange Englsh pounds in an Kantor in Poland. You will get a much better rate in Poland than in the UK.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

Hi, Gotyk House is a nice small hotel where you should feel well looked after and secure - see the reviews on this site. In February it would be chilly enough to keep the windows closed against any excessive street noise. It is very close to the main pedestrian street and many of the museums and sights (right next door to the awesome St Marys church and a short walk down the picturesque street that the hotel is on takes you to the harbour and the old crane house). Also close to Town Hall and restaurants (although we did find it hard to find one of these that was of any great interest in the touristy area, so can't recommend an eatery).

Sopot is certainly good to visit but please don't miss Oliwa - a stop on the way. The town itself is nothing but a short stroll to Oliwa Cathedral is well worthwhile - it is gorgeous and the Oliwa Park gardens around it are enchanting, although February would have them still pretty dormant I guess.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

Hi, Gotyk House is a nice small hotel where you should feel well looked after and secure - see the reviews on this site. In February it would be chilly enough to keep the windows closed against any excessive street noise. It is very close to the main pedestrian street and many of the museums and sights (right next door to the awesome St Marys church and a short walk down the picturesque street that the hotel is on takes you to the harbour and the old crane house). Also close to Town Hall and restaurants (although we did find it hard to find one of these that was of any great interest in the touristy area, so can't recommend an eatery).

Sopot is certainly good to visit but please don't miss Oliwa - a stop on the way. The town itself is nothing but a short stroll to Oliwa Cathedral is well worthwhile - it is gorgeous and the Oliwa Park gardens around it are enchanting, although February would have them still pretty dormant I guess.

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

Thank you all for your help. I'm booked in to Gotyk as a treat so am now off to do another link for more info!

Much appreciated!

6. Re: Solo female needs help with central hostel or hotel...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:22