We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

Hi all locals or experts

I am now in Gdansk and first of all can I just say how beautiful it is... however I would love some suggestions where to spend my evenings as I am fairly new to travelling alone...

I don't want to go nightclubbing alone but would love to just blend in the background at a gig or music pub... or just anywhere in the Old Town that I wouldn't look out of place in on my own... I return home on Saturday so only four nights to fill!

Any other suggestions for evenings gratefully received too as there are no subtitled films on at the cimema which is usually my back up!

Thanks in anticipation

Loox

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

Btw I haven't internet at the hotel so will have to check any kind replies tomorrow!

Wroclaw
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

There are movies in english with polish subs, so you can understand them without subtitles:)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

well done Loo- I think you are very brave travelling on your own.... and I am so pleased to hear you say how beautiful it is... we're off th gdansk march 9th and so looing forward to it- we're staying at teh gityk and that too sound a pleasure.

Love to hear likes/dislikes - any recommendation where to eat, what to see would be appreciated.

Have a wonderful- safe trip.....and I hope you find things to do...

D

gdansk
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

as wirtten before, all films are in native language and we have polish subs, so you don't have to worry.

and as for today i think cinema is the best option... nothing really going on in the centre. the only live jam session i found for today is in sopot in club called 'papryka' which is not hard to get to... actually it's quite good idea for the evening as sopot is very nice place for a short walk near sea-side.

if you want go there let me know so i'll try to explain

and alter i'll post you what else is going on on thursday and friday ;-)

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

Well I'll try again... in an internet cafe and my well crafted and long winded reply just crashed!

Thank you for you replies, I was thinking of Sopot Thurs or Friday as I have an early start for Stutthof tomorrow! Any suggestions would be great please... I am quite shy despite travelling solo so would prefer somewhere with a dark corner!

I have only found the cinema in old town which is only showing one English film which I have seen... is there another around?

UnsureNow... take note that a lot of the museums are either closed at the moment for refurbishment or have winter opening (closing 3-4pm) as the season opens in April. There is still plenty to fill your time with though and would advise that you spend all day sightseeing and have a meal when things close rather than a leisurely lunch. Check out GdanskInYourPocket online before you come as it is a bible to the tourist and if you plan your days well you may never have to pay an entrance fee as some museums have free entry days!

The Gotyk is in a great location close to dozens of bars and restaurants, is beautiful and spotless, has free wifi if you are bringing your laptop and friendly staff. It has several channels on TV though only CNN and music ones are English (there is too much to see to stay in anyway) If you are a light sleeper bring earplugs as it is a noisy place to stay though!

I can't recommend any hostelries as I haven't ventured in any yet (perhaps I am not as brave as you think!!) Even though I have tried to learn a few words I feel like a typical inept Brit with the language which holds me from the doors! Perhaps tonight I'll try a mulled wine or hot beer!

Sorry to rely on you locals so heavily but the closure of a few places has foiled my plans to sightsee by day and chill at night... I really do appreciate any help given!

Thanks again

Loox

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

About cinemas - you've probably found Neptun on Długa Street. But opposite the main railway station there is multi-cinema complex called Krewetka - Cinema City. You'll have a choice there.

Do not forget to visit Gradowa Hill, just above train and bus stations - you've seen big cross on the hill probably - there's quite a nice view from there :)

And I don't know if you've been to Drogi do Wolności exhibition (Roads to Freedom) - about fall of communism in Central Europe, just in the place, where it begins (near the Gdańsk Shipyard entrance, entrance nearby Solidarity building close to the railway station).

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

The Amber Museum is open out of season: Tuesdays to Saturdays 10:00-16:00 , Sundays 11:00 - 16:00 - well woth a visit.

Take a train to Sopot Kamienny Potok (railway station) Turn right off the platform, 90% of the other passangers will turn left, cross the road at the pedestrian crossing, its angled in the correct direction. Past the Hotel Villa Aqua and down the steps to the beach.

Just before you go down the steps you should find an empty development siteon the right, should I win the Lotto I'm going to move and build a house there.

The first building you come to (just opposite Jesus) is a Polish mountain style cafe/bar, in the summer they have free entertainment, Polish dancing and singing but I doubt it at this time of year. They sell tradional Polish food and beer. The next one is a nice fish restaurant, try the halibut with salad and chips. There are several more restaurants along the front including a pirate themed one.

Gdynia is a nice place and the same railway line will take you there. Nice dock and water front area. If you go just come out of the station front door and take one of the street at about 45 degrees to your right. The all head towards the the docks.

I've never been but at the bottom of Dlugi Targ just over the bridge on the right in Gdansk is a very popular pub. You can hear it a long way off. Clubs and pubs in Poland tend to be busy only at the weekend.

gdansk
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

again, there's nothing going on in gdanck centre

in sopot there's a jazz jam session

rozrywka.trojmiasto.pl/info_imp.phtml…

entry: 10zl

on friday:

rozrywka.trojmiasto.pl/info_imp.phtml…

entry: 20zl

and that's it about live music in 3city :/

though are several nice places in gdansk centre where you can have coffee/drink and simply read a book or see some small exhibitions:

la dolce vita: www.trojmiasto.pl/La-Dolce-Vita-o23637.html

szafa: www.trojmiasto.pl/Cafe-Szafa-o22444.html

pikawa: http://www.pikawa.pl/

kamienica: www.trojmiasto.pl/Cafe-Kamienica-o22295.html

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

Hi all!

Thanks again for all your invaluable advice :)

I found the the large cinema thanks... Have had a successful day - it always takes me 24hrs or so to find my bearings when solo...

The Roads to Freedom was inspiring and the Amber Museum is amazing. I have fallen in love with Gdansk! There is something magical about being 'lost' in a city where you understand very little - liberating!

I am thinking of heading to Gydnia tomorrow then the hour long walk back to Sopot for the evening should the light allow? The Jam Session sounds ideal for my last evening... and the restaurant advice is gratefully received... you are all so kind to stay in touch as I only heard my first English native today!

I may head for a mulled beer at Kamienica after here as it is near where I stay ;)

Three days is not long enough I'm afraid!

Thank you all again

Love and Sunshine

Loox

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for evenings now I've arrived please!

has all the snow gone Loo... not out there until the 9th - and I would really like snow!!!

D