We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough idea of the price of things?

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Lake District
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rough idea of the price of things?

Hi Im travelling to Gdansk next week and was wondering how much things cost. Basic things like meals, drinks, and taxi's buses etc. Do you think about £100.00 per day for two people would cover basic things?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

1 pound = approx. 5 PLN which gives you 500 PLN /day for 2 person. As I understood this excludes hotel/accomodation? Hmm, depending what you wanna do might be not enough.

If you wanna dine in places like KFC, McDonalds will be enough definitely.

Example prices:

- beer in restaurant/bar (large 0,5 ltr) between 6 and 10 PLN (sure you can find place with beer costing some 4PLN but woner if you'd like to go there ;-))

- meal in restaurant like Sphinx 10-40/person, beer 5-8 PLN

- chinese depending on place 20 - 50/person excl.drinks

- indian (place called Masala which I like) dinner for 3 incl. beer approx. 100-120 PLN , all 3 fully packed ;-))

Taxi is about 2PLN/km f.ex. from Rebiechowo Airport to City Center it about 60 PLN (day tariff) I guess

I think maybe other TA Members have more info as I'm not using restaurants in Gdansk frequently, municipal transportation either...

rgds

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

we've been back maybe 10 days or so....thats the amount we budgeted on for 2 - but didnt include accomodation...went with another couple and although i didnt keep a note this year(kicking myself as have done other years) 1st night we ate at a place -cant remember the name but it had like a pre historic theme... food was "just"ok bill £29/4 ! we had been drinking in there earlier....this was in the old town.

Goldwasser_Restaurant c£80- hubby had incl 3 course meal- great soup starter, sturgen fish as main and crepes 90PLN (£18)... rest of us had steaks or pork, but pudding was a faboo chocolate fondu.. we had a bottle of wine (not off the list but we asked for their house wine which was brill) Certainly not overpriced.. and our wiater spoke brilliant english

Another place that we ate in looked so so expensive and wasnt- cant remember the polish for it but translation is roughly Poland kitchen garden.. food was fabulous....at the end of the square where roosters is (Soooozz- thats a place for the boys !! Roosters))

Sopot-(went by train they're every 20 minutes and cost c 70p one way) if you get - just for the experieince there is a fish and chip shop/restarant on the front... when you come off the peir keep left and walk... we had such a laugh in there.. food was good...not our fish and chip shop good but an experieince.

In our budget we also had enough to cover a private tour guide.. she took us on a walking tour for c3hours showed us where things were and then on another day drove us to Malbork Castle.... she happened to be an official guide for there.. wow was that a brilliant day... email me if you would like her details.

Hope you enjoy your trip...

The Lake District
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

Guys, Thanks so much for your replies. Cant say how much you have put my mind at rest, Came back from Paris for a short break at the begnining of the month. Was SOOOO expensive, was almost having a panic attack that this was going to be the same!!

Am sure £100 per day will be about right.

Was also going to ask, none of us spek any polish, do you think this will be a problem?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

certainly not - unless you get up tight... the only place we had a little difficulty was at the railway station - but we got there.... it was a bit of a giggle really... oh yes and the fish shop aat sopot....just relax and enjoy- after this you will want ot visit krakow and warsaw... beautiful cities also-different -ensure you visit the old town....

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,383 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

Wow - £100 quid a day? I am sure that locals would agree that such an amount would keep you well watered for a week!

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

as far as language is concerned you shall not have big problems, however in small places, local shops you might find it pretty challenging ;-))

In hotels, restaurants, shopping malls no problem at all - at least somebody who can speak some english is available...

have a nice stay in Gdansk

rdgs

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

In the tourist areas which is really where you are going to be the menus are normally written in Polish German and English so you shouldn't have a problem there. If you are going to use the local trains between Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia there are multi-language ticket machines on the platforms. They only give change if they have enough change in the machine. Small change is a eternal problem in Poland so keep any small coins you get for ticket machines.

Most young people speak very good English and will be happy to talk to you even if they are a little intimidated. Language tuition in Polish schools concentrates on grammar and they are nervous about getting it wrong. Older people tend to have learned Russian at school.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

heh,

AlanBrownEdinburgh bee not rite, am yung and no afraid of lack of gramar so oter yungsters ur.

Ok just joking, frankly speaking ABE is right so be kind and encourage our youngsters to speak if possible pls.

That would be best "pay back" for help they will definitely offer.

butch

PS. I'm no so young anymore but not too old I guess either :-))

The Lake District
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

Thank you all for your kind replies. My family are very much looking to our visit. in fact, we cant wait. 1 last question, Smoking! are there any rules we should follow like in the UK? Does anyone know how much cigarettes are in Poland?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough idea of the price of things?

Unfortunately there's still no general ban on smoking in public places, but a lot of places has non-smoking policy. The rule is simple - if there is no ashtray, you are probably requested not to smoke.

Smoking is forbidden in public transport (incl. bus and tram stops).

Cigarettes cost about 8-10 zł per pack.