We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

I'm in the very early stages of research. I am looking into flying into Gdansk and seeing what's around there. What we are looking for is about 6 days of eating, people watching, relaxing with drinks, sightseeing (we're not museum people though) and about 3 days on the beach. The 6 days can be broken up into 2 different cities. I've been seeing Sopot and Gdansk and Gdynia come up, but I'd love to know what else is suggested. I guess I am just looking for suggestions of which cities to visit given this and how long to stay. I'd love to go to Krakow and Warsaw, but it seems like it would just be too time consuming to get there.

As far as the beach goes, I don't know if this is possible, but I'd be looking to rent chairs and an umbrella. Do the beaches have that.

My last thing is, I will have a 6 month old baby with us. What's a safe way to get from the airport to any of these cities and back. Like, are there car hires that would have a car seat? Also, getting around in the cities and to/from the other cities - Are there trains or would it have to be bus. I really don't want to do a bus because of safety reasons, but a train or tram I don't have as much of an issue with. Finally, are there are places in the area that rent strollers for babies.

Thanks for all of your help!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

What's you concern about buses? In PL much more has been spent in the last 25 years on the roads than the railways and our coach networks provide the fastest option, for most routes, while local buses provide a good service in town and country.

Agreed on the distance between Gdansk and Krakow - it's 6-700km - but you could get cheap internal flights?

In the area, look at a day by boat to the Hel Peninsula, with its beaches, watersports, seal sanctuary and the relics of WW2 and other era coastal defences (Hel was the last land area to fall to the Germans in WW2. Also, look at going to Malbork Castle.

Take a lookat which car hire companies operate from Gdansk airport and then check what they offer - we have branches of the major international hire companies, so things like kiddie seats, sat -nav, etc will all be on offer.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

Thanks for getting back to me. My main concern about the bus is not having a car seat for the baby. And if the bus is crowded, and there is no place to sit, I wouldn't feel as safe or comfortable on a bus as I would on a train that is usually a smoother ride.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

You didn't mention when you plan to come to Poland...? I guess it will be in the summer, so here are some ideas for you:

1. Kraków. It is far, but Eurolot flies there twice a day afair. A 1:30 h flight gets you to the #1 city in Poland (crowded & touristy, but charming and interesting)

2. Toruń. Some 2-3 hrs by train, or 1 hr by car from Gdańsk. It has one of the most charming Old Towns in Poland,

3. Kaszuby region - not a city, but one of the most beautiful parts in the north of Poland. Lakes, forests, rivers... 0,5 to 2 hrs drive from Gdańsk. This is an option for you if you are looking for relax. Could also be a nice alternative to the beach.

4. Regarding the beach... however interesting, Hel can be crowded - as John suggested go there by boat from Gdańsk, or by train. As this is a long peninsula, the road there becomes very crowded or even jammed during the summer months, with travel times to Gdańsk reaching many hours... Ustka, or Łeba may be a good alternative for you. (probably the people from Gdańsk area will kill me, but I personally wouldn't go to a beach in Gdańsk or Gdynia, these are big towns with not-so-perfect beaches... If at all, I'd go to Sopot).

New York, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

Yes, sorry. It's July.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

Hi,

I suggest you to take hotel in Sopot.

You'll find lots of nice places for walking and resting with a child.

As far as I know there is a possibility to rent a stroller.

You have a local and international train connections from Sopot, Gdansk, Gdynia.

The same with local buses. You can get to Gdynia and to Gdansk.

You can go by foot and in abt 40 min. alongside the bulevard you can reach the tram to Gdansk.

Malbork is situated abt 1 hr by train from Gdansk.

Boat trip to Hel (from Gdansk, Gdynia or Sopot) and a day trip to Kashubia would be a nice.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

6. Re: Suggestions for a family with a 6 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23