We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sopot Advice

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sopot Advice

We are a family of 3,daughter is aged 12. We are thinking of staying in Sopot for a week in June. Can anyone tell us how far it is from the aiport? How much would it cost if we take a taxi? How much if we take the train?. Never been to this part of Poland before,so feel free to offer any advice on holtels,what do to do ,where to eat etc etc

Many thanks

Lee Sharp

Mentioned in this post
Sopot
Sopot
Pomerania Province, Poland
Poland
Poland
Europe
Latarnia morska w Sopocie
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sopot Pier
Observation Decks & Towers
Monte Cassino
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sopot Advice

well first of all you dont state your budget.....if you have one.....so its hard to make suggestions as to hotels etc....but june is already high season here so its not cheap by polish standards....as far as a taxi to your hotel...it depends on the time of day etc, as theres a tariff on night times and weekends....but it is reasonable....theres no train so forget that....in this part of poland you choose your hotel first...then ask the hotel how much for a taxi as the hotels have special rates with various taxi companies so you wont get ripped off....having said that...this is an excellent part of the world to spend a vacation...this combined with gdansk and various side trips will have you comming back for more in the future

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sopot Advice

As casey128 says there is no train service at the airport. I'm guessing that a taxi from the rank would cost about 75zl, as always it will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.

If you want to have a fixed price then try http://www.gdansk-life.com/travel/taxi.php it will be more expensive but there will be a man with your name on a card as you exit the customs area. They are presently showing 100zl. DO NOT take the offer of any of the taxi touts you might meet in the airport, book a taxi or go to the rank outside.

However you can do it a lot cheaper and I always think, but my Polish friends disagree, more fun by using a bus and then train. There is a bus from the Airport to a railway station west of Gdansk city centre and then the train will take to to Sopot. Sopot has three stations but you will probably want the main one which is simply called "Sopot".

Have you selected a hotel? You seems to have been to Poland before, what is your Polish like? I love Sopot and should I win the UK Lotto, I'm building a house there. I have a building site in mind.

Mentioned in this post
Gdansk
Gdansk
Sopot
Sopot
Poland
Poland
Europe
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sopot Advice

For food, if you and your family are into fish, there's plenty of fish fry/shacks along the beach for casual eats. Bar Przystan is one of the more popular ones. Not far from Bar Przystan, you'll find fish stalls - selling fresh and smoked fish. Very fresh stuffs.

If you feel like checking out a milk bar, the "cult" milk bar in Sopot is Bar Bursztynowy.

Sopot is the social center for the residents of the TriCity. You'll find a range of inexpensive to extravagant food choices.

Mentioned in this post
Sopot
Sopot
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sopot Advice

Hi,

Sopot is situated between Gdansk and Gdynia. Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia form Tricity.

The distance from Gdansk to Gdynia is abt 22 km.

The most convenient transport between these 3 cities is local train called SKM.

Journey fm Sopot to the centre of Gdansk or Gdynia takes 20 minutes.

Taxi abt 60 zlotys (it depends on the firm).

Even if you not find the hotel in Sopot you can choose some in Gdansk or Gdynia.

I recommend to see Old Town in Gdansk, the Solidarity Square, Westerplatte, the Cathedral in Gdansk - Oliwa (with XVIIIcent. organ music presentation), XVI cent. Water Shed in Gdansk - Oliwa, Sopot pier, Gdynia Kosciuszki Square etc, etc.

You can also make one day trip to Peninsula Hel and/or Kashubian region and/or Museum of Nazi Concentration Camp in Stutthof and/or Malbork (Teutonic Knights Castle), etc.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Edited: 21 March 2011, 14:48
Mentioned in this post
Gdansk
Gdansk
Gdynia
Gdynia
Sopot
Sopot
Westerplatte
Westerplatte
1,096 Reviews
Gdansk, Poland
Sopot Pier
Sopot Pier
1,771 Reviews
Sopot, Poland
Kosciuszki Square
Kosciuszki Square
127 Reviews
Gdynia, Poland
Hel
Hel
123 Reviews
Baltic Coast, Poland
London
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sopot Advice

Hi

many thanks for the replies,dont really have a budget.

My wife would liek to try one of the hotels facing the beach. Yes i have been to Poland before,Krakow,and to Wroclaw,both very nice places.

My Pollish ,is ok ish lol,i get by when im asking for things.

Ive never takjust taken a taxi form the aiprort,this has always been booked before we fly.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, i shall let you know how we all get on

Lee

Edited: 03 April 2011, 00:50
Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia Province, Poland
6. Re: Sopot Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Sopot
Recent Conversations