We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

I have been doing some research reagrding the old Jewish Cemetery in what was then Stettin. A relative passed away in 1915 and was buried there. Obviously much has happened between that date and now...

My reasearch shows that the cemetery is no longer there and that many of the headstones were put in storage or were destroyed. I do see that there is a small memorial of remaining headstones still there.

To make this travel related....if one were to visit that area would any names still be visible on any of those memorial headstones?

Are there any museums in that community relating to Jewish history. Most of my family was born there and I am planning a trip.....

Dr. Z

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

If you zoom in on thus image, you'll see the names are visible sz-n.com/wp-content/…DSC00097.jpg

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

Oh, and a word of warning in case you're not aware - here in Poland people are a tad sesitive about people using the German names of Polish cities, towns and villages!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

Thank you for the picture. All the images I have been able to dig up did not have the clarity of yours.

And thank you for the warning. I can understand the sensitivity.

Have you actually been to the memorial?

Dr. Z

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

No - only lived in Poland for a year and we're in the deep south! Still exploring around here :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

hi,

do familiar with a list of people that buried in this cemetery or at other cemeteries in this area ? I'm trying to find a grave of my aunt that died after the war about 1947

best regards

Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

Maybe this will help you somehow (you could try contacting creators of this website): sztetl.org.pl/en/…

Also the website http://www.kirkuty.xip.pl/szczecin.htm (in Polish, use Google Translate) is taking care of the memory about Jewish cemeteries in Poland so I think you could email them also: kirkuty@kirkuty.xip.pl

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

thank you so much

it's a very good point to start with

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

Many of the headstones from the Szczecin Jewish cemetery were used after the war to build retaining walls in city parks, as paving stones, and to make receptacles for trash cans.

A few years ago the Polish-language newspapers in Szczecin did a project in which each week they would publish an obituary of a person whose headstone had been found during searches of stones like these.

There is a very informative temporary exhibition about this project at the Jewish Historical Institute (Zydowski Instytut Historyczyny) in Warsaw, which is near Plac Bankowy (Bank Square). (This is NOT the new Museum of the History of Polish Jews, whose exhibition spaces are not ready yet.)

9. Re: The Old Szczecin (Stettin) Jewish Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Szczecin
Recent Conversations