We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Poland from the UK

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to Poland from the UK

We are planning to travel through France (from Calais), Germany and Poland with a view to visiting Auschwitz and Krakow when we get there. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Germany and somewhere to stay in or near Krakow?

Also I will be taking my own car (Audi A6) and would like to hear from others who have made similar trips. Having read several horror stories about car jacking and the state of Polish roads/drivers/police I would like to hear from anyone who has driven to Poland and lived to tell the tale!

Is there a particular route we should take? When we get there, should we park the car and use taxis? Any advice would be appreciated.

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to Poland from the UK

Hi Winklebill,

It's not that bad, but obviously some of the stories may have been real. Mercedes, BMWs and Audis seem to be particularly "attractive" to thieves in Poland, but if you take reasonable precautions, you WILL be fine :)

Getting to Krakow from Germany is pretty simple, as you would be using the A4 in Poland almost from the border all the way to Krakow. It's in most parts a completely new or renovated proper motorway with 2 lanes in each direction, and most of it is free of charge at the moment. Beware there are VERY few fuel stations between Wroclaw and Katowice (AFAIR).

With regard to car vs taxis... It all depends :), probably comfort-wise mainly. If you can get nice and inexpensive tours to the likes of Auschwitz or Wieliczka, I would leave the car and take them, but it would be for the comfort again.

Some precautions, not as obvious to westeners (from what I've seen watching my German, British, Irish friends):

- never leave anything on display in your car. If you have to, put it in the trunk before you start your trip. Grabbing your wallet from a laptop bag in the trunk once you arrive at your destination can be observed and the car may be broken into... Also, if you have a removable radio panel, always take it with you

- park your car on guarded car parks - they are called "parking (platny) strzezony" which means "(paid) guarded" (sometimes there are "platny niestrzezony" which you probably wouldn't want to use - I'll leave the interpretation to you :) ). Make sure your hotel has one.

- as everywhere, drive sensibly :), on single-carriageway roads watch out for some people overtaking without caring about the traffic from the opposite direction

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to Poland from the UK

I drive a similar car in Poland (on UK plates) and drive back to the UK a couple of times a year. It's a really easy (but long) drive. I've never been carjacked or had an accident here, but I usually stick to the speed limit. I did get stopped once in Poland for overtaking in a no overtaking zone but got let off :) I usually go via Berlin and stay at a German motel near there, but if you're heading for Krakow you should really stay in the city - it's quite an experience to be able to walk into the centre of town in the evenings.

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to Poland from the UK

Thanks for the advice. We are planning to stay in Krakow for a few days and will be using tripadvisor to select the hotel.

4. Re: Road Trip to Poland from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 11:22