We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raciborz / Katowice questions

Wash DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Raciborz / Katowice questions

Hello,

I will be traveling in early October to Raciborz for a Wrestling tournament with team USA. We have transportation from Katowice to Raciborz but I want to stay an extra day without the team to see Auschwitz and some other sites.

My questions are:

1) We are staying at Hotel Ragos or Unia. Are these decent hotels?

2) It will be over Yom Kippur and I would like to find a synagogue in Racobirz. Are there any open to the public?

3) How can I get from Raciborz to Auschwitz? Should I go back to katowice and rent a car or take a driver? Is it a far distance between Raciborz and Auschwitz?

Is this general area safe? Is there any sort of night life in katowice on a Monday night? Would I have more fun in Krakow? I have to fly home from Katowice on Tuesday afternoon and Monday will be my only free day.

Thank you so much for you answers.

Krakow Direct Private Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Krakow Trip - Auschwitz Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Krakow Auschwitz - Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Krakow Airport Express - Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raciborz / Katowice questions

2. There were three synagogues in Racibórz many year ago but all of them were destroyed :( You can find a synagogue in Oświęcim (this is where the Auschwitz Camp is placed).

3. I don't know any direct connection between Racibórz and Auschwitz. You can go to Katowice and go from there by bus, train or car. There are only two direct trains from Katowice to Oświęcim during the day so maybe it's better to get some private transportation or a bus.

There are pubs and restaurants in Katowice, all of them should be open on Mondays. You can find more night life in Krakow but if you don't have time I'm sure you will also have fun in Katowice, especially if you travel with a group.

Maybe some TA member from Katowice will help you more.

Zabrze, Poland
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
763 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raciborz / Katowice questions

Hello,

- regarding hotels, check TA for a better choice however all decent overnight options in Raciborz are already book for the tournament

- there is no synagogue and no Jewish community in Raciborz now; the closest 'house of prayer' is in Gliwice, Dolnych Wałów 9, +48 32 231 47 97 sztetl.org.pl/en/…

- there is a bus connection from Raciborz to Cracow via Oswiecim (4 times a day) or you can rent a cab (PLN 400 = ca USD 140 return & waiting)

- as for entertainment Cracow is MUCH attractive than Katowice

Wash DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raciborz / Katowice questions

Thank you so much for your advice.

4. Re: Raciborz / Katowice questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2016, 18:18