We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

Rockland
6 posts
Save Topic
Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

I was planning to visit this place in about 8-10 years (probably as part of a ~5-8 day vacation). My interest is more in the everyday lives of the deported and not in the "martyr museums". I would like some visiting recommendations for the afternoon as well as an ideal amount of time/money to save up. My salary is supermarket salary and i work in massachuetts.

Rockland
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

Mid-April would probably be the month.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

The museum-led guided tour begins in Auschwitz I, the slave labour camp, before moving to Auschwitz II-Birkenau, spending roughly 1.5 hours in each and following which you are free to spend as much additional time as you wish, up to closing time. Remember that Birkenau ... well, 90% of the people sent there died within 2 hours of arrival. Auschwitz III was a slave labour camp for the industrial complex, but while the complex survives there is nothing left of the camp. So focus on Auschwitz One and, if you have time, spare some for Plaszow, in Podgorze.

Mentioned in this post
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
11,764 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
Podgorze
Podgorze
83 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Rockland
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

How many Zloty's should be saved for the trip? The plan was to stay in Krakow go to Oswiecim by Train & then go to Plaszow by another train if i learn about something interesting there. How much should i save for the trip, & lastly would it better to take the airport to Krakow first a go to oscwiecim latter, or visa versa?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

Too much can happen in 8-10 years to forecast costs - Poland is currently a cheap place to visit, but that may change, especially if we join the Euro. Do some on-line research for current prices for things that interest you, places you'd like to eat and stay ... Krakow has 5-star but also hostels with mixed sex dorms so accomodation prices can be very different along the scale.

Krakow airport has good connections into the city, from which there are trains and, every 20 minutes or so, buses to Auschwitz. The bus is quicker and avoids a 15 minute walk from Oswiecim station to Aushchwtz I as the buses stop in the museum car park.

Plaszow is a short trip - Podgorze is a part of Krakow and you can even join Jewish walking tours which include the area.

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
11,764 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

BTW, there is a museum dedicated to the Galician Jews which would probably interest you, plus the Museum of the Occupation which is in the Schindler Factory.

Rockland
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

cool. i was never interested in schindler's factory before because i assumed it was just a factory. I'm pretty excited to hear that their is actually a museum there. (I've seen the movie but i haven't heard about the real man. I just know he isn't fictional.)

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

Keep in mind the museum in Shindler's factory is not a museum about Shindler, but about the German occupation of Kraków (which Shindler was a small part of).

As John said, it is very difficult to estimate prices in such a long time span. Nowadays Poland is one of the cheapest countries in Europe but this will be slowly changing with rising salaries and prices of property. Still, clearly the largest part of your expense will be flying into Kraków. The costs of staying will obviously depend on how long you will stay, the type of accommodation you chose, where you chose to dine (fast foods, local 'bar mleczny', or restaurants?), where do you go (any attractions to pay for, transportation), whether you do a lot of shopping, etc. Things like cultural attractions (eg. museums) are inexpensive and accommodation and food prices are also very reasonable. Shopping can be expensive sometimes.

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
8. Re: Want to learn more about The events in the Area. Sugesstions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 18:20