We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps and Salt mines in same day

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Camps and Salt mines in same day

Hi, travelling to Kraków for 4 days. Wanting to visit the camps and salt mine. Going to take an organised tour, options seem to allow a combined visit in one day, or to visit each on consecutive days. Are the benefits to doing in one day (are they near each other, thereby saving travel time)? Thank you

9 replies to this topic
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
5,197 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

The only benefit is that you save half a day. Nothing more.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
2,154 reviews
2. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

It can be done in a day, however if you going on a tour to the camps you will be collected around 8am, You will get to camps around 9.30 you at least 2 hours at Auschwitz and at least 1 hour at Birkenhau, so it will be early afternoon before you go to mines, which is a 2.5 hour visit, and some physical walking. So what I am saying its a long day, the camps are quite draining and its nice to chill out afterwards. Do the mines on another day if you have time on your stay in Krakow 🙂

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
3. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

I think that would be a really heavy day and would take away from the experiences. We did taxi to and from Salt Mines easily in half day and used Krakow Direct for Auschwitz- picked up about 12 and brought back by 6. They are both excellent. Don’t try to rush them in one day. You can still have two half days to gently wander in Krakow if you can get up early!

Level Contributor
474 posts
4. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

I did both the same day 13 years ago. We had a taxi take us (and wait) and Auschwitz and the salt mine. Personally, we all found the salt mine very very repetitive “here is another cave” the guide would say. The cathedral is the only thing worth seeing in the salt mine but sadly there is no short tour option.

I took my 21 year old son in December to Krakow and needless to say, I didn’t bore him with the salt mine.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

Like others have stated it is not really worth doing those two things in one day. They are in different directions all together. So just organize a different tours to both of the places on different days. To the salt mines you can even get quite easily with a local train. It is also possible to organize the tickets beforehand online at https://www.ebilety.kopalnia.pl/index.php… if you prefer to do it all by yourself.

sudbury
Level Contributor
19 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

We did it in one day on the 2nd April. Exhausting but left us more time for leisurely sightseeing in Krakow

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

To get the best from both sites, you would be better to do one on one day, and the other the next day. I have been to Auschwitz 3 times, and each trip was a 7am to 7pm day. Just getting to the camp is nearly an hour each way. Doing both trips would mean running round both sites, which in my view would take away a lot from both experiences.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

A 12 hour trip to Auschwitz? A tiny minority of the visitors there would do that, the overwhelmingly vast majority would do the trip in a little over 6 hours, combined with the salt mine would make it 10 hours.

Guided tours at both places set the timescale, so running around is not an option especially at the mine. If you chose to visit Auschwitz unguided, people rarely spend more than 4 hours total for both sites.

Both in a day is easily possible without rushing either.

Edited: 05 April 2018, 21:49
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
118 reviews
9. Re: Camps and Salt mines in same day

It's pretty tiring but doable. Request a packed lunch from your tour operator. Ideally it would be good to allow two separate days, but this would eat into your time to discover the beautiful city of Krakow.

Reply to: Camps and Salt mines in same day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted