We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kantors and exchange rates.

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kantors and exchange rates.

Several posters have suggested that the exchange rates from kantors are normally better than the rates available from UK banks. I'm simply wondering if kantors normally charge a commission and if so what the typical charge would be per transaction. Also do they apply a better rate for travellers cheques than for cash?

ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

We didn't pay any commission or fees. Just watch out for how the post the rates. Some of the Kantors reverse the rates, i.e. if the rate was 3.73, some of them offer 3.37. So just be aware of it.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

Like the previous poster said be careful when exchanging with the Kantor. The USD was going for $2.72 when I was there and the Kantors were giving $2.27. If the option of an ATM is posible for you then I would take that route, I was given the rate of $2.72 with using my debit card and travelor check money atm card.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure that I want to use the ATM's all that frequently as my bank charge approximately £4 sterling per transaction which I think is a bit on the steep side.

ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

Kieran

Just to clarify - Of course you can use ATM's and Credit cards, but you will get the best rate at the Kantors. There are lots of them, and most don't charge commission. Just walk around and look at the rates, and make sure you choose to use one which is giving the best one.

Sometimes people just walk in to have the money exchanged without realising that different rates are offered. As I said, 3.73 would be 3.37.

and another thing to watch for is making sure you watch the sign at the top where it says We Buy / We Sell. That can be confusing also, because some of them reverse it.

Don't worry about it, it's not a problem at all, just so long as you are alert and stop to read the board. Also, the rates flucutate slightly from day to day by a minimal amount.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

Thanks Ger.

The reversal scam is a bit cheeky. I'll be on my guard.

6. Re: Kantors and exchange rates.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:16