We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single traveller tips for first time visit?

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Single traveller tips for first time visit?

I'm staying in Krakow for a week in November and, as there seem to be a lot of people with great ideas and informed knowledge on this forum, I was hoping to pick brains for tips, ideas etc

My main reason for the visit is Auschwitz Birkenau and I've read about hiring a private guide for the day but can't seem to find any info? Any tips much appreciated as I've pencilled out a full day free to spend there.

Any suggestions or great ideas/tips you may have will be gratefully received. No matter how much research you do on the net I feel nothing beats personal experiences... a week is not enough time to learn by my own mistakes lol! Plus I promise to return here to help out others if I can when I return!

Thanks in anticipation folks :-)

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
11,593 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
Kilkenny Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Single traveller tips for first time visit?

hi

we are just back from krakow and also did research.

you can get a bus from opposite the main postoffice in krakow near the green area for 6 zloty, like an ordinary bus, if early you have a seat, very comfortable like any other bus. we had planned to walk around but there was a 3 hour tour for only 6 euro which included the film and everything. 1 hour in auswithc and 2 hour in birkebrau. i liked the tour as they give you straight an insight and when you go back to auswitch you can go again around at your own pace but know exactly straigt away where the buildings are you really want to see.

so do the tour for 6 euro and when you arrive back you can still stay there for hours.with a tour guide you get an insight of how they really lived there. if you walk alone it takes longer to find out????

if after you get your own time you can look quietly at all the pictures.

the tourguide would not have time for you to look at every picture but you get a very good idea how they lived.

so you should DO THE TOUR. the 3 hour one.

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Single traveller tips for first time visit?

Thanks everyone but I'm back again!

My boss has just mentioned that the Old Town is busier at night with clubs etc and generally more 'city centre' like. As my ideal evening is in a comfy pub (hopefully listening to some live music) I am a bit stumped again as to where the best place would be to base myself? I don't fancy a dark trek across town each night after finding I've got it wrong! Would Kazimierz be more suited to old fashioned pubs where I could take my book and chill out? Yes I know I sound dull but I simply don't do disco! As my main reason for visiting Krakow is to visit the sights during the day I would love to spend my evenings in a 'local' relaxing, watching the world go by and planning the next day!

Any input gratefully received...

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
13. Re: Single traveller tips for first time visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:31