We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

Hi, I will be visiting Krakow in mid January (arriving on Friday late afternoon and flying off on Sunday evening). If I want to fit Aushwitz and the salt mine all in a day (Saturday), is that too aggressive or should I visit Aushwitz on a Saturday and the salt mine on a Sunday morning?

Are there any other sites that are interesting in Krakow? My friend and I are the 'wake-up-early, see all-you-can' kind of travellers.

Any recommendation as to what we should do on Friday evening? Restaurant recommendations will be much appreciated (where locals enjoy their meals)!

Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

I did a short trip to krakow in September. My trip report is below. If you want to do a proper visit to Auschwitz and include Birkenau I think you need a full day. It's about 2 hours outside krakow and Birkenau in particular is large and you see everything on foot. I was pretty wiped out taking the earliest bus in the morning to Auschwitz and returning on an early evening bus. But it might be possible to do it in less time if you only go to the Auschwitz museum site.

Other things to see are Wawel Castle, the Cathedral, St. Mary's Basilica, Franciscan Basilca (uhm I guess I saw a lot of churches). Just be wary of opening and closing times. I had planned to see more but the hours of operation were much shorter than I thought on the days I happened to be there.

The restaurants I liked are in my trip report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k1480…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

Thanks Tallulah. I will definitely keep your restaurant recommendation in mind.

I think I'll spend a day in Auschwitz and Birkenau and the next morning visiting the Wieliczka Salt Mine. Thanks!

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

if i had only 2 days in krakow i would stay in krakow and nearby kazimierz....theres so much there to see and do....get the tourist card....going to aushewitz will take all day and the salt mines more than half....you will have litle time to do anything else except peruse the square and a few streets....as far as restaurants go....the further away from the square the less expensive they tend to be.....for pizza i love trzy paprzyki on poselka...i go to szara for the atmosphere but the food is way over rated....for polish food i love the "domowa" type restaurants.....means homestyle....cheap and good...in any case there are hundreds of restaurants in the old town and the food is generally good

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

If you want an overall view of the city then I would recommend two of the Cool Tours walking tours, one for the Old Town and another to Kazimierz. They start daily at 10am and 2pm from the little white church in the main square - just turn up and pay the guide. Those tours made my stay very interesting and enjoyable...

You could do the Salt Mine on the Friday if you are checked in before around 3.30pm as the last tour in winter is 5pm and as it underground you are not using valuable daylight that could be spent in stunning Krakow! Just a thought...

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

There's also the main square with the cloth hall to pick up some souvenirs. St. Mary's church is there too with the trumpeter playing a half song every hour. Wawel castle, cathedral and the dragon statue is about 15 mins walk from there. The Jewish quarter is worth a look. Krakow is compact and you can easily walk everywhere.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

if i was you...i would skip the salt mines and aushewitz since you only have 2 days....get a tourist card and see all the interesting sights in krakow and kazimierz

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

We did the salt mines with cool tours it was an 8.20am pick up and we returned to the centre of town at 12.30 pm which then gave us the rest of the day to do the Main square, castle, and lots more, it is all very easy on foot, you can do Aushwitz with the same firm they pick up around 1pm and return for 7pm so you have the morning free. Maybe the last trip wasnt long enough but we saw all the main bits and heard everything we needed to know, so I would say do it as a tour. Also the jewish Quater is great, after the salt mine you could go early evening and have a meal down there, a nice place in the main old Jewish Square was called Ariel, good food and sometimes music. I think as a push and as early risers you can see it all, it is so easy to get around on foot if you are in a central hotel.

8. Re: Krakow - sights to see in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 12:16