We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salt mines

seaham / durham
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
salt mines

hi what is the best way to get to the salt mines we are going to be in Krakow the first week in December and how much will it cost to get there plus how much to go in the salt mines

thanks neil and paula

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salt mines

See a previous post fro more details:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k1035…

BELFAST
Level Contributor
443 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salt mines

I was there last week with my wife.

we didn't do the "organised" tour we went on our own

You get the bus to the Salt Mines from outside the Main Post Office (it is really a mini bus and will say salt mines on it) The cost is 2.5 zolt each single. The bus takes about 30 minutes to get there and drops you off nearly outside the entrance (you just have to walk up the side road to it about 150mtrs) To get the bus back just go back to where it dropped you off it leaves from the same spot.

We got the mini bus about 9.00am to be there for the 1st English tour at 10:00am (you must go with one of their tour guides and they have different languages at different times) The cost is about 61 solty each + another 10 solty if you want to take photographs inside.

The tour lasts about 2 hours.

I don't know if this is much cheaper than an organised tour but we found it each to do.

What I would say is don't do one of the organised tours to the concentration camps. They charge 120-140 zoltys each. There is actually no entrance charge.

We did it by using the normal bus service (this time a coach) the bus costs 7 zoltys single and leaves from the main bus station, close to the train station. You pay the driver on the bus, it leaves from "stop" G2?. It takes about 1.5 hours to get there. When there we just bought a 3 zolty guide book and followed the route. There is a free shuttle bus between the 2 camps. In all it costs us for the 2, 28 zoltys for the bus and 3 for the guide book 31 zoltys not 240/280.

If you have time I would recommend the camp. Again go early we got the 9.00am bus and were not back in krakow until about 5.00pm (leaving the camp at about 3.00pm)

seaham / durham
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salt mines

thanks for the info cant wait to go.

Herning, Denmark
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salt mines

The website of Wieliczka Salt Mines: www.kopalnia.pl/home.php…

l00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salt mines

A little tip for visiting the Salt Mine that I was given. Go in the evening as you are underground anyway! The last English tour at this time of year is 5pm but allow time to buy a ticket. I arrived at 4pm and went straight in tagged along to a group of French taking an English tour so you might be as lucky and not have to wait long... I was only charged 49zl too so the two of you could go for the price of one tour if you go alone. Ensure you get on the 'Contra' Minibus too as that is the one that stops outside the mine - other buses stop in the town 15 mins away.

Enjoy!

Herning, Denmark
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: salt mines

I found this text on the website of Wieliczka Salt Mine in the menu "Visiting hours": "from 2 November to 31 March: from 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.

Here is the direct link to the above: www.kopalnia.pl/site.php…

Regards Naturelsker

Herning, Denmark
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: salt mines

Number 1 on the map "Miasto i Gmina Wieliczka" is Wieliczka Salt Mine (Kopalnia Soli Wieliczka in Polish).

Legend means legenda in Polish.

The link to the above: www.wieliczka.gmina.pl/plan-miasta.html

Regards Naturelsker

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: salt mines

I went to the salt mines independantly. You can go on a minibus which leaves from the bus station in Krakow or go by shuttle train from the train station. The train and bus station in Krakow are next to each other. The train fare is 2.5 pln each way per person and takes about 30 mins. It takes 5 mins to walk from the train station to the salt mines. The entrance fee is 61 pln each. The tour takes about two hours. I advise you to go morning/early afternoon as it gets busy later on. They only allow a maximum of about 35 people in a group, so it's better to get there early rather than have to wait another hour for a tour to start. There's a cafe there which is basic but cheap. You have to walk down the mines - several hundred steps, but there's a lift back up to the top. The salt mine is beautiful.

I went to Krakow for a week beginning 17th October. It was cold and rained half the week so I advise you to take warm waterproof clothes. Have a lovely holiday and hope this helps.

Herning, Denmark
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: salt mines

%L[http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.983682,20.059055&z=17&t=h&hl=en]Google%L* of Wieliczka.

Regads Naturelsker

Herning, Denmark
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: salt mines

A correction:

The correct link: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/e102c/

On the google map you do click on the menu "Satellit" for at see the roads better.

Regards Naturelsker