We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U Babci Maliny

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
U Babci Maliny

realising taste is an entirely subjective thing, could any member recommend which location of this restaurant in krakow is best. the reviews i read on here differ widely so im resorting once again to u kind members, which location do u favour,, and why,, thank you .

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U Babci Maliny

The one on Slawkowska - the location is by far the most convenient and while there are much better milk bars around, this one is closest and useful for when I need a golabki or meat-and-two-veg fix and the other milk bars are shut.

South Shields
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U Babci Maliny

whats a milk bar?

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U Babci Maliny

Since i was staying on Slawkowska that's where I ate. I was not disappointed. The prices are inexpensive and the portions are large. I ate there for lunch at by 12:05 the line was out the door. I think I got 10 pierogies for about $4-5 US.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U Babci Maliny

I prefer the one on Szpitalna myself. The decor downstairs is great and it is a bit easier to negotiate than to the other one which is more like a canteen than a restaurant and is open longer. Still, both are great and very good value.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U Babci Maliny

A milk bar is a place you can eat but without alcohol. They were a source of cheap food for the masses in communist times, now they serve people in a hurry who are after basic food (soup, pierogi, meat+2 veg) that arrives with a minimum of customer service, and pensioners who get subsidised meals. They're generally open from lunchtime until the food runs out. Not many of them left in Krakow, but U Stasi on Ul. Mikolajska (behind the pizzeria) is usually OK.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U Babci Maliny

Thank u all for your prompt replies, much appreciated, as we took Gooners trip re the Ukrainian restaurant on our May trip and were not dissapointed ,wel go with his recommemdation firstly,but staying a week wel probly try tother too, thanks guys . il post our findings on our return.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U Babci Maliny

With regards not serving alcohol, the U Babci Maliny on Szpitalna does serve alcohol. This one is more of a restaurant than a plain milk bar although the upstairs part is more like a milk bar. Unlike the other one, here they bring the food to you so you dont have to worry about waiting for your number to be called out and missing out on your food. In both places though, you have to order at the bar/service area.

I hope that has cleared up any differences between the two places.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U Babci Maliny

I prefer the Bobcia Maliny on Szpitalna, the food was fantastic. It tastes like the Polish food that my Bobcia makes. I also like the decor downstairs and the Bobcia that greats you are you walk into the restaurant. If you enjoy Polish food you won't be disappointed. The Potato Pancakes, pierogis and globacki's are great!! Enjoy your time in Krakow!

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U Babci Maliny

Someone mentioned U Stasi. While it's cheap and the food is OK, its hygine standards are somewhat worrying as seen first hand. My suspicions were later confirmed on reading food reviews on different Krakow establishments ( gazeta.pl ) - polish readers only I'm afraid, and maybe just as well - otherwise you may not feel too well for your sunday brunch!!

10. Re: U Babci Maliny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 02:18