We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Krakow

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Krakow

We are planning a trip to Krakow in March/April 08. As usual, I have alreday picked up some good tips from the trusty Tripadvisors!

We are staying at the Hotel Matejko on Plac Matejki.

We intend to get the train from the airport as I understand it is only a short walk to the Hotel. Anyone know the area. Is it reasonably quiet and safe at nights to walk about? Any good restaurants that you would recommend in the area.

Thanks folks

Jurneyman

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Yes it's a short walk from the train station - just go down the stairs, turn right and walk straight through the shopping mall. Go up the escalators in the middle to street level and carry on walking straight across the road. The Matejko is on the corner on your left as you walk into Matejko Square (you can't miss the square). It's a few steps to the Old Town so you can chose from pretty much any of the restaurants recommended here.

KRAKOW
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Hi,

the area is rather not quiet as it is the area of the Mair train ststion and the bigest shoping center in Krakow! I would recomend to walk arround the old town as this area is not really interesting and temptating during the night but I believe you shoul feel safe. The Matejko Plac is very nice as itself and its just few meters from the barbicane and Florian gate..

Enjoy!

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Hmmm.

Thanks for the feedback. I may reconsider and look at finding a reasonably priced hotel in the Old Town.

Anybody got any good ideas?

Jurneyman

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

are we talking about the same place Magdalena?? The Matejko is 2 blocks away from the new shopping centre (which is closed at night) and the train station is on the other side of that, so it's not exactly Piccadilly Circus. The hotel had good reviews here and elsewhere and the Old Town is only 100m or so away!

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Been looking around on Tripadvisor and other sites. Saw some good looking hotels at the castle but not sure I am gaining anything.

My main concerns are:

1. Avoid the stag parties that my country seems to inflict on the nicest parts of Europe.

2. Be able to get a good night sleep in a comfortable bed.

3. Be reasonably close to the tourist attractions

4. Most importantly, to be able to relax when walking around at night and feel safe (I saw a posting somewhere that said to avoid the "Planty" after dark because of drunks)

If the hotel and the area ticks those boxes then I am more than happy with it. Really appreciate the time you put in to answer these requests for info.

Thanks

Jurneyman

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

AMIBOVVERED

I noticed that you stayed here recently.

Your views??

jurneyman

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Picked up your e-mail amibovvered

Many thanks

Jurneyman

swansea
Level Contributor
56 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Dont know the hotel,felt very comfortably in the night time "no problems"cant rememember the restaurant i used but there are lovely places to eat.

Europe
Level Contributor
110 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Jurneyman, check out The Wawel Tourist. Great hotel in a fab location. Very safe area. Lots of reviews on TA.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to Krakow

Thanks guys

Jurneyman