We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auschwitz visit

yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Auschwitz visit

We will be visiting Auschwitz shortly and intend to get there early, & stay some hours. Would it be advisable to take some sort of refreshmnt/ Also similar question when we visit the salt mine.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auschwitz visit

Yes definitely take some food/drinks for Auschwitz as there isn't much there. Can't remember what the salt mine situation is like though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auschwitz visit

yes, do take something, however after visiting Auschwitz you don't really feel like eating !

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Auschwitz visit

There's a drink and food center there, we had lunch after visiting the camps.

bucharest
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Auschwitz visit

do not eat there, roads between krakow are littered with pizza places etc. cheap as chips as that orange freak on the telly says in the uk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auschwitz visit

You should pack a lunch and snacks. The snack bar was absolutely overrun with people at lunchtime and if you want to use your time well it's not worth standing in the long line or waiting around for a table. There was no snack bar at Birkenau. There was only a snack machine (well actually I remember a coffee machine and not sure if there was a snack machine too?).

You can buy the pretzels on the street of Krakow (or at the grocery store) which are like a braided sesame bagel of sorts. I brought a few of those, a couple granola bars and some nuts and soda so I would be set for the day.

Also if you don't want to wait for the shuttle bus between sites you can get a taxi...or share one as I did with a couple from Scotland so it would be cheaper for each of us.

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auschwitz visit

There is a small snack bar in the entrance hall at the salt mines. I think there are probably cafes or bars in the area too as its in a built up area. There's also an underground restaurant but I think that is only for tour groups and functions.

dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auschwitz visit

theres a small bar and cafe at the entrance to Auschwitz, also drinks machine inside. at the salt mines there is an excellent cafe down the bottom at the end of the tour, just before you exit to get the lift back.also a bar outside.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auschwitz visit

Thankyou to all who have replied to our query.

shropshire
Level Contributor
372 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auschwitz visit

Hi. We have just returned from Auschwitz and would advise you to tkae something with you. The snack bar at Auschwitz was closed for refurbishment and drinks machine was out of order!Small shop at Birkenbau but again drinks machine out of order!

hoxja
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Auschwitz visit

birkenau visitor centre needs some bread spending on it big time.

bearing in mind it's in the middle of bloody knowhere!

need a decent bar there where you can have a beer and a smoke (you can't snoke in auswich or birkenau)