We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

Does anybody know what the limitations are on carrying vodka home to the U.S.? I guess it would have to be in checked baggage because it wouldn't make it past security. It sounds like there are some great vodkas -- would hate to miss the chance to bring some home.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

You'd think it would be straight forward enough to find this out on a US Customs website but oh no!!!! OK - this is what I understand it to be. You can bring back 1 litre duty free. However you can bring back more alcohol than that as part of your normal customs allowance but it may be taxed. This tax however it seems also depends on State Law possibly in addition to a standard tax. It seems to be a percentage value on the purchase price but given that wodka is relatively low cost in Poland it won't add up to a great deal. So buy your bottle of Chopin duty free at the airport (no tax) and then get a few bottles of flavoured wodkas to stick in your checked baggage and declare then when you come back.

Thats how I have read it but maybe someone else can be a little more specific!!

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

MJT, thank you for your help on this. I appreciate it.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

I'm not exactly answering your question, but on my last trip to Krakow I brought back 3 different liters of vodka. I packed them very securely in my checked baggage. When enterting the US I made sure that I claimed the bottles on the claim form you fill out before you exit your plane. When clearing customs nothing was asked of me and my bottle made it home in one piece.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

Thank you -- that's helpful info. I appreciate it.

Middlesbrough UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

You are right that you can't can't take it on board in your hand luggage. I forgot about this and had to literally bin 2 bottles (sob sob!) at check in. Offered to give it to soldier who checked baggage but he said it had to go in the bin. Stupid of me really but on the bright side the bottles were only £5 ($9?) each.

Could have checked bag in for $20 but snap decision was not to..wish I had now!

6. Re: Vodka -- carrying it back to U.S.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:22